Penn 965 - Engagement out of free spool

Started by CEShawn, March 20, 2015, 01:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CEShawn

So I have had my 965 for about 10 years or so.

Right now when I go to engage after free spool, it slips, it keep clicking but not coming out of free spool.  Then after a little bit it ill engage.  It goes into free spool easily.

I am wondering if I should replace part 98-965 and 68-965 the trip rachet and shift arm.

First time using this site, I think I am going to like it. Thanks.

sundaytrucka

Might be the engagement mechanism, but I would check the pinion gear as well. Look at the section where the spool shaft pin and pinion gear meet and lock together, see if there is excess wear on the engagement area of the pinion. If the pinion is worn badly, considering it is 10 years old, it may not be catching the pin in the spool shaft, more or less late engagement until the pinion can grab onto the pin in the spool shaft.

I have a 975, not sure if they are the same internally, but I can see that the pinion on mine is slightly worn, no function issues, but reminded me if excessive wear exist that it could be the cause of your issue.

Have you tried taking the handle side plate off and playing with the free spool engagement and disengagement,  if it is sound when away from the spool it could rule out the auto-engage mechanism as the issue and point to the need of a new pinion or pin in the spool shaft.

Good luck.

-Scott

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

TechTeach

I have no idea, but your not one of those Downeast guys are ya????  ;D
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

CEShawn

I dont know, are you one of those wood workers?

Thanks for the tips.

I know that when I first got the reel and if the two screw's holding the side plate in got loose it made the same noise, so it felt like that.  However that was corrected in the first season and easy to fix from vibration from the boat.  When I take the side plate off, it still has the same problem, yesterday I dove into that side plate and will try those pieces here shortly. 

I want to take better care of my stuff and this seems like a great place to learn about it.  Somewhere in taking care of a boat, sometimes more boats and everything else always put this stuff last.  I was upset because I gave this out to a person to fix and no luck.  With the exception of my tuna reels, I dont take small reels apart much, I think I just replaced a drag on a 80TW a couple times and then cleaning on my Tiagra 130's.  I took apart a 113 Senator when I was a kid and never got it back together, however I have learned alot since then! I figure if I can take my engine apart I can do my reel.

TechTeach

I build RC downeasters.  ;D

Great place here Shawn. Any reel is best serviced yourself but if you have Penn gear,especially senators. Look around, you'll find some cool mods.

Sounds like you need a new dog spring or ratchet but I'm not familiar with that reel.

ElMar.

Does this post help?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22.0
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

CEShawn

I think I found it...

you can see the tab on the bottom left is worn that engages the other wheel.  I did end up replacing both.

Thanks everyone.

Now time to try to figure out how to get the bearings out.  I saw  Alan's bearing page and WOW, that will be a good help.  I thought my pick would be able to pull them out but guess not. 

CEShawn

Finally got the bearings out...

Just used bottom tool and jiggled bearing left right left right to get it out. 

Jiggled, what a term, people on the ship make fun of me for using it...

CEShawn

Love this website, wish I found it before...

Made up some more special tools today and got the pin and bearing off the spool.

I went to Home Depot and bought 3 vice grips.  One to keep normal, okay that is a lie, it was a practice one incase I messed up and one I adapted on the left side and one of the right side.  Sure could have done it to one tool but for $4 for the HDX vice grip, it was worth it to have more BITE.  I know to get the pin out, I had to jiggle it one side, then the other side, then freed up. 

I do think it was easier to do on a dremel with cut off than the grinder like Alan said... Got a better angle...

alantani

Quote from: CEShawn on March 21, 2015, 03:33:20 AM
I think I found it...

you can see the tab on the bottom left is worn that engages the other wheel.  I did end up replacing both.

Thanks everyone.

Now time to try to figure out how to get the bearings out.  I saw  Alan's bearing page and WOW, that will be a good help.  I thought my pick would be able to pull them out but guess not. 

in a pinch, you can also take that little post and twist it around 180 degrees and i will work for 10 more years.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CEShawn

Thanks for the tip Alan, great website here.

So tonight I put it all back together again and perfect!