Penn 1/0

Started by callelk, November 29, 2010, 01:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callelk

I was just rereading the great tutorial on the Penn 2/0 and I have a quick question, will the same drag modification work on the 1/0? 

I would think it would and I am looking to hotrod my 1/0 for steelies.

alantani

yes!  it's a great upgrade for heavier drag settings.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

joel8080

Alan

Would the same part numbers for the 2/0 work for the 1/0 ?.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

alantani

some of them are the same.  here's the schematic.  alan

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/110.pdf

akfish

I have to ask: Do you really need more drag when fishing for steelhead??
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broadway

I'm not sure what kind of Steelie fishing Callelk will be doing, but I did a lot of trolling for salmon/steelhead on Lake Michigan in the early to mid nineties and we used penn 3/0's on the downriggers and Daiwa accudepths for the line counter function on the dipsy diver rods.  I used to fish out of Pentwater MI with my stepfather when me and bro would go visit my mom up there for the summers.  The salmon and lake trout got up to 30 lbs, and the steelies up to 15 lbs or so.  I wouldn't use a penn 1/0 for that type of fishing unless you like reeling in an awful lot of line every time. Good Luck to ya!
Dom

callelk

Quote from: broadway on December 01, 2010, 05:23:59 PM
        I'm not sure what kind of Steelie fishing Callelk will be doing, but I did a lot of trolling for salmon/steelhead on Lake Michigan in the early to mid nineties and we used penn 3/0's on the downriggers and Daiwa accudepths for the line counter function on the dipsy diver rods.  I used to fish out of Pentwater MI with my stepfather when me and bro would go visit my mom up there for the summers.  The salmon and lake trout got up to 30 lbs, and the steelies up to 15 lbs or so.  I wouldn't use a penn 1/0 for that type of fishing unless you like reeling in an awful lot of line every time. Good Luck to ya!
Dom

Dom,

Thats a little more water than I will see :)

callelk

Quote from: akfish on November 30, 2010, 02:27:40 PM
I have to ask: Do you really need more drag when fishing for steelhead??

Hi, sorry for the late response but my job requires that I travel extensively and I just returned from a 5 day

The short answer is no but like everything else I have; this reel is capable and will be required to perform multiple duties.  That is to say it may be used in the bay for small sharks, Rio Vista for stripers and small sturgeon, Snake River for Steelie's and the Salmon for, well, Salmon.  So the question then becomes, why not set it up to its full potential?

Bryan Young

I would agree.  Even with light drag settings, the greased HT-100s make a world of difference.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Callelk,

HOOK IT UP, BROTHA!

Dom

callelk

Quote from: broadway on December 05, 2010, 04:22:17 AM
Callelk,

HOOK IT UP, BROTHA!

Dom

You got it!!

Just received the draw washers, gears (had one(?) bad tooth) and spool................

joel8080

Alan

Before I order parts for my 1/0, 2 question's will the SS shaft that you use to hot Rod the 2/0 work in my 1/0?, also do you know where I can get a solid frame for a 1/0?.

Regards

Joel
Oceanside,California

Steve-O

Hey Joel,

Not to hijack Alan's direct response.....but I just ordered and received my SS 98-60AT gear sleeves from Pennparts. They fit the 309, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 and some 4/0's but not all models. May fit a few more. Jigmaster 500/501 is a different part.

MizMo rocks! She's the gal whom I spoke with and fills the orders. I got free shipping with my order of over $250 in parts. Yeah, I'll be hotrodding my 2/0 with the SS gear sleeve and drag goodies plus a few Jigamasters, 209's, 309's, etc. I went nuts :o on the Penn power handles and bought a bunch.

RE: the one piece frame? Check Tiburon - they may can hook you up. Or Hi's as was recommended. Others may chime in with THE answer. Expect to spend + - $90 for a frame....unless you get lucky and if you do let ME know.

good luck
Steve-O

alantani

hi's tackle in san francisco had a special run of 100 frames for the penn 1/0.  i actually saw the last one that was for sale, but foolishly did not buy it.  would have been nice! 

callelk

Quote from: Steve-O on December 09, 2010, 02:04:09 AM
Hey Joel,

Not to hijack Alan's direct response.....but I just ordered and received my SS 98-60AT gear sleeves from Pennparts. They fit the 309, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 and some 4/0's but not all models. May fit a few more. Jigmaster 500/501 is a different part.

MizMo rocks! She's the gal whom I spoke with and fills the orders. I got free shipping with my order of over $250 in parts. Yeah, I'll be hotrodding my 2/0 with the SS gear sleeve and drag goodies plus a few Jigamasters, 209's, 309's, etc. I went nuts :o on the Penn power handles and bought a bunch.

RE: the one piece frame? Check Tiburon - they may can hook you up. Or Hi's as was recommended. Others may chime in with THE answer. Expect to spend + - $90 for a frame....unless you get lucky and if you do let ME know.

good luck
Steve-O
For reference...

Light Tackle Penn sleeves

98-60(AT) Course Tooth W/10-60 Star
98-505(AT) Fine Tooth W10-505 Star

AT=Alan Tani Stainless Steel for a drag setting of 8# or more.

Fits the following reels.......

49L Super Mariner
60 Long Beach
65 Long Beach
66 Super Long Beach
67 Super Long Beach
68 Super Long Beach
110 Senator
111 Senator
112 Senator
112H Special Senator High Speed
113 Senator
125 Seagate
149L Mariner
185 Seaboy (not Baymaster)
190 Seaboy (late with drag)
200M (small run, most are Squidder sized (98-155))
267 Long Beach
268 Long Beach
285M Delmar
309M Super Peer
500 Jigmaster
500S Jigmaster
501 Jigmaster Narrow Spool
505HS Jigmaster High Speed
506HS Jigmaster High Speed Narrow Spool