But, but, but, this isn't a cod. It's a halibut!

Started by trond_solem, March 21, 2015, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Quote from: hultis on March 21, 2015, 06:50:06 PM
Sal - it's an Atlantic halibut too. Caught some 300 kilometers north from where Trond lives. The northern coast of Norway is simpy amazing when it comes to fishing. Not to mention how beautiful it is up there.

/Christian

+1!

What about the fight in them when hooking them in the back about 8" back from the head instead of in the mouth?

Any experience with that Christian?

I know for sure the cods feel very big when hooking them in the body instead of in the mouth. It's a big dissapointent when they come up and you find that it is a small one hooked in the tail. :)

MarkT

I think all fish fight harder and feel bigger when foul hooked.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Sal - it's an Atlantic halibut too. Caught some 300 kilometers north from where Trond lives. The northern coast of Norway is simpy amazing when it comes to fishing. Not to mention how beautiful it is up there.

/Christian
Nice!, I couldn't tell, but now that you've mentioned I see it.
Yes, I agree! It is beautiful up there.
You guys are lucky, here we pay for education out of pocket.
Kids are almost done with school, if I have any money left, I will be there one day.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 21, 2015, 08:45:23 PM

/Christian
Nice!, I couldn't tell, but now that you've mentioned I see it.
Yes, I agree! It is beautiful up there.
You guys are lucky, here we pay for education out of pocket.
Kids are almost done with school, if I have any money left, I will be there one day.
Sal

You are welcome.
If you decide to visit us, send me a message some months in advance and I can help finding a nice place to stay.

Alto Mare

Thank you Trond, I'm hoping it will happen one day.
Now, did you welcome me over because of the bag full of Penn parts that I've mentioned earlier on another post or you would just like to meet me? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 21, 2015, 09:39:25 PM
Thank you Trond, I'm hoping it will happen one day.
Now, did you welcome me over because of the bag full of Penn parts that I've mentioned earlier on another post or you would just like to meet me? ;D

Both. :)

No, I forgot that bag of Penn parts.

I just want to help you find a nice place to stay. All cabins and the like are full in the summer. You have to make a reservation some months in advance to get the place you want. I suppose you don't want to stay at a hotel far from the coast.

We have just made reservations for a trip further north this summer. Even if we live in a holiday paradise, we want to visit more of our country.
This summer we are gong to Reine end Henningsvær in Lofoten.

Reine: http://www.classicnorway.com/hotels/reine-rorbuer/about-reine#about-reine

Henningsvær (Henningvaer) : http://www.classicnorway.com/hotels/henningsvar-bryggehotell

No, we are not going to fish. That's something we do at home.
Just relax, shoot some photos, some birdwatching, enjoy the midnight sun. Eat good food and drink some beer.

Both my wife and I are dragging cameras around when we have spare time, so taking photos are a hobby we share.

Our photo pages:
http://www.ipernity.com/home/solvi.solem
http://www.ipernity.com/home/trond.solem

Alto Mare

Thanks for the link Trond, that's pretty neat that you and your wife are Photographers. I took a quick look and they look amazing, I will go back later, take my time and enjoy them...very cool.
Sal

Tightlines667

Those are some quality, frameable photos.  Also, looks like your wife has some serious knitting talent.  My mom would be impressed, and she can knit.  Maybe we could commision her to knit some fishing-theamed reel protectors, or the like.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice catch! Have to say the background to the pic is simply amazing. What a beautiful country!

Alto Mare

Trond, I got me a cup of coffee and enjoyed everyone of your 1625 pictures ;D, you do some beautiful work.
If I had to pic one it would be very hard, they're all gorgeous, this one hit me just a little more than the others, if its ok I would like to make it my background for a while.
http://cdn.ipernity.com/142/76/41/32517641.09ee4098.240.jpg?r2

I will now start on Mrs Solem, thanks for sharing these with us, it's a nice treat.

Trond, these are even better. Good thing you're not compeating with Mrs Solem  ;D

Keta

Thanks Trond.   I did not know you were that far north.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on March 22, 2015, 02:20:00 AM
Thanks Trond.   I did not know you were that far north.
Guess where Norway is Lee.   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

I'm mostly Scandinavian  ;)  He is north of Iceland.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hultis

+1!

What about the fight in them when hooking them in the back about 8" back from the head instead of in the mouth?

Any experience with that Christian?

I know for sure the cods feel very big when hooking them in the body instead of in the mouth. It's a big dissapointent when they come up and you find that it is a small one hooked in the tail. :)

Trond - I've never heard of a halibut that was hooked in the back. Guess that must have been one hell of a fight. I once caught a 25 lb cod in the back and I actually thought that it was a monster halibut at the end of the line.

/Christian

Keta

Fish hooked back from the head can not be turned so they can fight more effectively.  I watched a friend land a 160# yellowfin that was snagged in the side about 1/2 way back, and with a circle hook????  The captain thought he has a supper cow and chased the fish, something I had never seen done with a 105' boat.  The only foul hooked fish I've hooked were salmon and steelhead, I'd rather cut my line than mess with a foul hooked one, we can not keep snagged ones anyway.

Were you using Circle hooks or J hooks Trond?  I was told by a old Norsk commercial longliner friend in Alaska that C hooks were invented in Norway.

Mark Twain