But, but, but, this isn't a cod. It's a halibut!

Started by trond_solem, March 21, 2015, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

The trip to my cod fishing spot resulted in some small cods, but more interesting was this halibut.
It was hooked in the back some 8 inches back from the head. I don't know if this makes them fight stronger, but strong it was!
I had no problem stopping it, but I was a bit afraid of ripping the hook out of it. A little bit less drag and fight it for some more minutes is a safer way than increasing drag until it can't take line.

Westin 50lb rod. Penn Senator 9/0 reel with 200lb braid. Short 90lb topshot with a bergman fluo 2lb pilk.

The halibut was 12.5kg or about 28lb.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice fish Trond and nicer background. How long is the rod, looks like its pushing 3 meters.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Get back to your great CAD work... ;D

Nice butt, not too big not too small. It is odd to catch Pacific halibut in the same place as cod, does it happen often with Atlantic halibut?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

harryk3616

way to go trond,  with the cod and halibut, some fine eating fish will be on the menu

gstours

Nice suprise for dinner!   you did good,  perfect eating size as mentioned.  I like to see others out there in the snow!  Thanks and keep your hooks sharp,   whats next?

trond_solem

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 21, 2015, 12:25:19 PM
Very Nice trond!
Looks like its cold there.

Was just below freezing early today. A drop in temp from +8-10c (46-50F) we have had for some weeks now.
The spring is on. Some of the birds have returned from their winter holidays and som plants have started to grow.
This small snowfall is quite common this part of year. In a day or two the snow is gone again.
I don't think we have had temperatures below 10F this winter and the days with below 20F are few.
The gulf stream brings warm water up along our coast and helps keeping it quite nice here on the island.
Inlands the temperatures are lower during wintertime and they have a lot more snow.
On the other hand, we have more wind out here. :)

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 21, 2015, 12:44:10 PM
Nice fish Trond and nicer background. How long is the rod, looks like its pushing 3 meters.

The rod is 7ft 6" according to the label. It's just me that is short and wide. :)

Alto Mare

Quote from: trond_solem on March 21, 2015, 04:27:54 PM

The rod is 7ft 6" according to the label. It's just me that is short and wide. :)

;D
scaling numbers from the picture doesn't always work, I started with the 5" 9/0 and worked my way up ;D. I was making you 6'2" not that it matters.
I'm only 5'7" but could kick any 6' and over butts any day ;D
Thanks again for sharing Trond, I hope one day I get to see your area.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on March 21, 2015, 01:16:27 PM
Get back to your great CAD work... ;D

Nice butt, not too big not too small. It is odd to catch Pacific halibut in the same place as cod, does it happen often with Atlantic halibut?

It was quite a surprise. I didn't expect to catch a halibut there, but according to others here, they have got a lot of halibut there during springtime.

It's quite common to catch halibuts amongst coalfish all year round and we also catch quite big cods there. They are hunting for food in the coalfish shoal.

Talking to older people here have revealed a lot of infoormation of where to find halibuts during summertime. I hope to catch a big one this summer. They have got halibuts up to more than 200 lb on rod and reel here.

This is a german video about fishing here.

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 21, 2015, 04:37:01 PM
Quote from: trond_solem on March 21, 2015, 04:27:54 PM

;D
scaling numbers from the picture doesn't always work, I started with the 5" 9/0 and worked my way up ;D. I was making you 6'2" not that it matters.
I'm only 5'7" but could kick any 6' and over butts any day ;D
Thanks again for sharing Trond, I hope one day I get to see your area.
Sal

I'm 5'9". Add and inch for shoes and I reach the 6' mark. :)

MarkT

Bunch of Munchkins, and in Sal's case, with delusions of grandeur!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

hultis

Beautiful halibut in perfect food size. I'm absolutely sure you will catch 'buts in the 100 lbs range if you keep on chasing them. Powerful gear by the way. That 9/0 should be me more than enough even for the big sharks you have lurking in your waters.

/Christian

Alto Mare

Quote from: MarkT on March 21, 2015, 05:34:02 PM
Bunch of Munchkins, and in Sal's case, with delusions of grandeur!
;D Mark you read it wrong, I said 6' and over butts, I'm talking about the butts in the water ;)

Christian, what's that fish you're showing on your avatar?

Sal

hultis

Sal - it's an Atlantic halibut too. Caught some 300 kilometers north from where Trond lives. The northern coast of Norway is simpy amazing when it comes to fishing. Not to mention how beautiful it is up there.

/Christian