Penn 114H Special Senator Reel

Started by bigi, November 29, 2010, 07:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigi

I found a great deal on these reels, new. I would like a couple of reels for inshore sharking. Is it OK to put braid on the "specials". They're designed fopr wire.

They appear not to have HT100 drags. How much is it to upgrade.

Thanks.

Norcal Pescador

What's the exact model number? Generally with Penn, H means high speed, L stands for aluminum spool, and W means wide spool, SP is for wire-capable spool. LH is for left hand, N for narrow spool. If the last figure in the model number is "2", it was made in China.
IMHO, you can use Spectra-type braid on any spool except plastic.

If your drag washers look like the ones Alan is installing in a tutorial, they're going to be carbon fiber - either Penn HT100 or Carbontex. If they look otherwise, they probably (99.9%) aren't. If they're another flat fiber and the reels were sold as "new", you either have an old reel (collector's item) or a bogus deal. Of course, if the reel was made in China, all bets are off. ;D

$10-15 to replace the fiber and metal washers for an upgrade.

Dom "Broadway" on this forum collects Senators, he is da' man!  8)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

akfish

All Penn 114 Senators with 5 stack drags (5 metal washers and 5 fiber washers) had HT-100s. Senators with three stack drags did not have HT-100s. If you have a 5 stack and the drags aren't HT-100s then they have been changed to something else.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broadway

Bigi,

Are they USA made or are they labeled H2? Is this the chromed over brass spool or aluminum? You can definitely put braid on the brass/chrome spools or aluminum... just put a back shot of mono on to cover the spool.  Also, you don't wanna fill it to full capacity because your braid WILL get stuck between the spool and the inner trim ring.  While fishing, if you can be mindful laying the line on the reel you should do fine, however if you bump up to the 9/0-16/0 you can use mono which is what most surf shark fisherman do.  If you're on a boat then just spool the 114H up with 50lb. mono with 500 yds. then you don't have to worry about the braid eating spool. I also know guys that put a 100 yd mono back shot, then 400 yds of braid then a good top shot to max out the capacity.  Akfish and Rob (NorCal) gotcha covered on the rest.  Good luck and tight lines to ya!
Dom

bigi

Thanks for all the replies.

It's a "Penn 114H Special Senator Reel (114H-SPECIAL)" Made in the USA.

Unfortunately the 25% discount expired. I'll keep my eye on it to see it it's discounted again.

Thanks again for the help.

broadway

alantani

i've got enough pieces to make 2-3 of the 6/0 penns laying around..........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Alan,
      You should have an assembly area in your garage for a couple lucky teenagers wanting to learn your trade. Just give 'em the milk crates + rubbermaids and let 'em separate your parts in exchange for the opportunity to build some reels (with your tutelage)on their own and keep 'em for their parts separating service.  I know an old timer that used to do stuff like that... everyone was happy  with that deal ;)  By the time their done with your gear they'll probably be married with kids  ;D
Dom

Bryan Young

Dom,

Funny you say that.  Alan is trying to put his bench together that will give him a new work area and should open up space for us guys that want to learn.

Alan, by the way, I have the last 3 weeks off in December.  I can come on by any time/day during those times to get your bench built.  Let me know.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Damn!  Sure wish I was in So Cal for private, Alan, reel tutoring... I'm jealous!  Have fun guys
Dom

alantani

my neighbor and i assembled the bench last weekend.  i still need to get everything organized. 

EL JEFE

OK...Alan, where in So. Cal are you?  I'd love to work and learn about reels!!!  Happy to work for knowledge!!!

alantani

sorry, i'm actually in northern california.  the town is saratoga, near san jose.  anytime you're in the neighborhood, swing by.  there is always cold beer in the frig!  alan