Basic HT-100 questions

Started by Phishface, March 23, 2015, 06:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phishface

Hi, this is a very rudimentary question so please forgive me.
I'm working on a Penn 525 Mag that belongs to my fishing buddy, and we lost two fish on this reel last season; I thought it was the drags or the rough riding bearings.
I opened it up and the bearings need serious help, I felt the corrosion before I looked at them. The drags don't look so bad, a little glazing on one of them but not as bad I thought they would be.
My question is this: Should I replace them? I remember a friend of mine said I could take the HT-100s and soak them in kerosene to clean them and raise the texture back up, then let them dry and then reinstall them, Is this BS?
Is there a way to revive slightly used HT-100 drags?

alantani

the drags are good forever.  just slap a coat of cal's grease on them and you're back in business.  for bearings, they look like they all need to be replaced.  measure them out and check in the smoothdrag.com with dimensions and she should be able to set you up.  when putting the reel back together, do not over torque the side plate screws.  it you do that, the frame will warp a little, causing the spool to rub.  took me hours to figure that out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

It looks like you have some salt in the CF.  I degrease them, then soak them running water, then let them dry out then grease them when dealing with salt intrusion.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Phishface

Thank you both Alan and Keta for your quick responses.

Alan I've never replaced bearings before, thanks for the smooth drag lead, and the side plate over torque tip.