ABU 1500c spool / handle skipping

Started by DutchAbu, March 23, 2015, 07:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchAbu

Dear All,

Being my first post on this forum , I will first introduce myself. I am an angler from the Netherlands who likes to fish for pike, perch and carp. I prefer to fish with a float and sometimes use lures.

To fish with light lures I bought an ABU 1500c . I 'm just afraid that I put too much pressure on the spool. When you pull the line the spool rotates "choppy". It is also possible to rotate the lever with limited pressure on the spool (spool will not be rotating but handle wil turn in big steps, see video : )

I think it has to do with the pinion ( 21750 ). This now seems to havo to less grip on the spool. When I take the reel apart I see no parts that are damaged. I dont know much about reels so I might be missing something.

Hope you can help me out with this! If pictures of specific parts are needed just ask and I will post them.

Jan

Bryan Young

Welcome DutchAbu,

You are right, something is a miss.

If you wouldn't mind unscrewing the drive side plate by the 3 quick release screws used to swap spool out quickly.

Then remove the hand and open up the drive side and take a few pictures on the internals and the gears itself. 

It sounds like you are missing a tooth in the pinion gear, and if this is the case, you will need to replace both pinion and main gear.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DutchAbu

Here are three pictures of the inside. Both gears look allright to me. The thing I dont understand is: What makes the spool turn when you turn the handle? I would think the inside of the pinion would drop over the spool. But the overlap looks pretty small to me (picture 3). Is this normal?

Bryan Young

Okay, that one is not like any I have or serviced.

I need to fi d the schematics for that reel.  What is the number on the bottom of the reel foot?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DutchAbu

Number is; 070008

Bryan Young

Would you be so kind to post a photo of the end of the spool shaft where it mates with the pinion gear?  The closer the better.

DutchAbu

Did give it a go to make some pictures. I am not realy satisfied with the quality, only got a phone to make pictures... If you need a closer look just ask and ill try to get some better gear.

It is a round shaft where two sides have been removed. In the center there is a hole.

The pin that is inside the pinion doesnt fit very far in the hole. I would expect it would have to go further in to make sure the pinion has got grip on the spool. Or the brass part of the pinion should be more towards the tip of the pin.

Edit: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9430/69511694.jpg (picture of the spool in another topic about 2500c)

Bryan Young

Oh, I see it now.

Spring 10245 may not be putting enough pressure on the pinion gear to stay engaged with the spool. 

Also when looking at

I just noticed that the pinion gear does not sit fully down on the spool shaft.

Is the reel new?  If it is, you may have a mfg. defect.  The flats of the spool shaft appear to be 5-10 degrees from horizontal on both flats.  I'm not sure if this is by design though, but it appears to limit the pinion gear from fully seating on the spool shaft.

DutchAbu

First of all I would like to thank you for your help Bryan. Appreciate it a lot!

I think the spring is working fine. But you are right about the second part. It looks like it is not possible for the pinion to fit over the spool. Maybe it is possible to move the brass part of the pinion down with a hammer so there will be more overlap or to reduce the diameter of the pin. Guess the last option is less risky  ;)

Reel hasn't been fished. Did buy it from someone who collected some Abu reels.

I'll put the reel aside and wait to see if there will be more comments on this subject.

Thnx in advance!

Bryan Young

Not a problem.  We are all here to help.

Unfortunately, our resident Abu Expert, KenD is out for a few due to illness but getting better.  We miss him dearly, and I'm sure he would have a resolution once he gets back.

foakes

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum, Dutch --

Observations:

-- Your reel appears to be in, as you have said, new condition.

-- No apparent reason for the pinion to not slide down easily over the spool shoulder.

-- If acquired from a collector of ABUs -- I suspect that the gear or the spool are the wrong one for this reel. 
   These spools and gears are easily interchanged between ABUs -- since there are just three thumbscrews
   required to release the head side -- particularly since the reel was for collecting (never tested for proper
   performance).  Likely got mixed up over the years.

-- These possibilities should be eliminated first, before anything unnecessarily drastic is done like using a
    hammer or file.  These reels need never be forced -- they are very well made.

-- These 1500Cs were made in the late 70s -- then discontinued sometime later -- only to be reintroduced in
   2008, by the new owners of ABU, Pure Fishing.  They originally came in red, burgundy, silver, and gold.

-- Might check back with the seller to see if he has an explanation, or another ABU with a loose spool!

Sometimes, we over-complicate things when trying to repair a fishing reel...the best explanation is the simplest explanation that takes ALL evidence into account.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 24, 2015, 04:40:48 PM

Unfortunately, our resident Abu Expert, KenD is out for a few due to illness but getting better.  We miss him dearly, and I'm sure he would have a resolution once he gets back.

I was wondering what happened to Ken D on all the forums. He has been a great help to me and I have missed him.  I pray he will be fine soon.

DutchAbu

Thnx for the reply Foakes. Did send the seller a message for some more information.

Hope KenD will be better soon! No pressure for him with this reel, closed season for lurefishing has already started so I don't need it soon ;)

DutchAbu

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 24, 2015, 02:53:31 PM
Oh, I see it now.

Spring 10245 may not be putting enough pressure on the pinion gear to stay engaged with the spool. 

Also when looking at

I just noticed that the pinion gear does not sit fully down on the spool shaft.

Is the reel new?  If it is, you may have a mfg. defect.  The flats of the spool shaft appear to be 5-10 degrees from horizontal on both flats.  I'm not sure if this is by design though, but it appears to limit the pinion gear from fully seating on the spool shaft.

My tv and internet didn't work yesterday, so is was a great evening to fix the reel. Decided to force the pinion further over and into the spool. Repeated this proces around 10 time so it would fit more easy. Problem solved :)

Bryan Young

Very good.  Glad you got it working.