Guide protection

Started by zerofish, March 24, 2015, 06:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerofish

A friend of mine is using silicon spray lube on the rod guides every 2-3 fishing trips. He says it supposed to protect the guides from rust. I'm a bit sceptical about the lube affecting the epoxy. Is it a good practice or should i avoid it?

Newell Nut

Soap and water has worked for me all my life, why change and why risk messing up the epoxy with a possible chemical reaction.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I use KVD line conditioner on my guides before every trip and then wash them with soap and water when I get back, has never failed me.

LTM

See post in this section: "ROD MAINTENANCE". There are comments on Silicone.

Leo

Slazmo

I have found that some Fuji guide frames have a tenancy to rust up quicker or in areas more than others in some years of manufacture. Unsure about stainless steel quality is a issue or if its a manufacturing issue within regards to setting the ring etc?

I have always paid particular attention to guides during the wash down stage when home. if you find that there is crud stuck to the guide itself a nail scrubbing brush can be used to scrub the guide.

Applying some Mr Sheen furniture polish to the guide or some Inox MX3 oil / Silicone (CRC 808) to the guide where the insert contacts the stainless steel frame can help mitigate corrosion in that specific area.

Corrosion that starts at the foot, where the guide may have cracked away from the epoxy overcoat of the binding is a hard one to control. Either place some clear nail-polish between the guide foot and the crack - otherwise over the cracked epoxy can help stunt that corrosion; until the epoxy can be repaired or replaced.

If your worried about Silicone spray and future epoxy work - wax and grease remover can efficiently remove all traces of it.

TechTeach

Fluid Film

http://www.fluid-film.com/products/

I put this stuff on when the rod is new or just built, lasts a long time a provides protection. Very easy to apply. I use both the spray and the brush can.

Works great on anodized reels.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Keta

I rinse my rods (all of my gear) as soon as the fish are cleaned, when I get home I use soap and water in a spray bottle followed by a rinse with a spray nozzle.  Make sure they are dry before putting them away.

So far I haven't had a problem with titanium guides (on 2 rods build for me by Stick Fish) but they are expensive and add considerably to the cost of a rod.  On the "clubs" I build I use quality SS guides.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Normslanding

A friend turned me on to "Pledge" a long time ago. I rinse, descale, dry, and Pledge the entire rod. The wax keeps away the salt and they look nice.

Shark Hunter

I also use Pledge before I put mine away Norm.
Life is Good!

TechTeach

Fluid Film is Pledge on steroids.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Tunacious

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 24, 2015, 08:57:05 AM
Soap and water has worked for me all my life, why change and why risk messing up the epoxy with a possible chemical reaction.

x2