Sailfisher 130

Started by Islandgypsy, March 24, 2015, 03:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

After reading about the 130 in Mikes book, I've had my eye open for one these to add to my plinth-worthy reels. Picked this up yesterday for about what some folks are asking for a Jigmaster in good condition.

It's pretty much mint, was lined and maybe fished once. It came in the 25th anniversary box with all the original stuff so that dates it as a '57. Good year for cars AND reels. I know I have a can of Nevr-Dull in the garage somewhere :)

Penn Chronology

Great reel, there are fisherman that use these religiously.

Bryan Young

That is a beautiful reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Lucky you!  Congratulations on a great deal.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Islandgypsy

Thanks, guys, I'm pretty pleased with it. Hey, who else appreciates this stuff but us ;D

UKChris

I have an old Sailfisher 130; not unmarked but perfectly sound. It is sooo smooth and feels much more 'tightly put together' than some of my later Penn reels. Great to find one in such good condition.

(oops - can't spell Sailfisher, or so i thought but it is the stoopid auto-correct)

Aiala

I think it's a very intriguing reel, and yours is a beauty, but after looking at the Scott's parts list (largely discontinued) I lack confidence in my ability to adequately upgrade/maintain it.  :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Yes, Aiala --

There are a few unique parts on the Sail Fisher 130 -- rings, plates, spool, etc..

And quite frankly, there are stronger reels out there, that will do the same job -- or better (6/0, 4/0 narrowed Wahoo Specials, etc.).

Having said that, I really like these reels.  They are unique, and like a classy older lady, they still have a certain special charm -- maybe just because there was not a long production period (16 years) -- and not a lot were sold.

They were considered a light tackle reel for big game like Tuna, Salmon, or smaller sailfish -- with some interesting key upgrades -- such as steel main and pinions, 3:1 gear ratio, a little smaller than a 49 -- lighter and faster, 3 screw stand instead of 2, harness lugs, etc.

No one needs this reel -- with stronger reels out there today.  But it is a pleasure to fish with -- and responsive as well as light.  This is a strong, well thought out reel for trolling.

If I had an interest in acquiring a reel like this to actually fish, I would:

-- Get a good example -- take your time, there are some out there -- not super expensive

-- upgrade with SS & CF greased drag stack & Delrin over and under

-- Install a power handle

-- buy an extra one so that you would have spare parts

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Islandgypsy

Naw, not gonna' fish this one, it'll be a 'shelfy' ( Ted ) or a 'dust collector' ( Lee ) ;D.

coastal_dan

Missed this somehow, beautiful reel!  After seeing them in Mikes book the same thing crossed my mind, haha.  Nice score.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Aiala

I was so consumed with my fishing trip that I forgot this was waiting for me:

Hardly looks used... very neat reel, at least 47 years old. (They were discontinued the year I was a college freshman... holy catz!  :-\ ) I'd love to fish it, but since parts are impossibly scarce, it's destined to be a shelfie.  :)

~A~

Penn Chronology

QuoteI was so consumed with my fishing trip that I forgot this was waiting for me:

Beautiful reel, looks like early 1960's model. They were introduced in Catalog #17--1952 and last seen in Catalog #32--1969. My favorite is the unique first year model, the only one made with the three piece spool; but, yours is a better fishing reel.

A great late model collectible with an inflationary future.

Shark Hunter

That is One Nice Sailfisher Aiala. :o
Looks like a Snipe to me with 5 seconds left. $144
Life is Good!

Aiala

Mike, you're correct as usual; the catalogue in the box is 32B.  :)

Mr. Shark, yup, there were several of us lying in wait, but somehow I lucked out and snagged it.  ;)

~A~

Maxed Out

Quote from: Aiala on November 05, 2015, 03:39:48 PM
Mike, you're correct as usual; the catalogue in the box is 32B.  :)

Mr. Shark, yup, there were several of us lying in wait, but somehow I lucked out and snagged it.  ;)

~A~

Aiala, your 130 is a nice reel. You paid dearly for it, so I hope it is brand new.....$160 is a crazy price, but if you like it, then that's OK....I wouldn't pay beyond $80-$100, but that's just me. There was only one other bid past the $75 mark, which is where it should have sold, until 2 sky high bidders hit it, that's when the price skyrockets. I try to stay away from bidding wars and just wait for the right one at the right price to come along.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!