Proper Screw driver

Started by wendull, March 25, 2015, 10:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wendull

Some of the new shimano torium or Trinidad sideplate screws,that were installed with Loctite are Phillips screws with a slot and very hard to break free which is the best screwdriver tip to use,phillips or slot or is there a specialty driver tip??

wendull

I think you should try a Phillips driver

wendull

I think you should use a good sloted screwdriver

wendull

I don't think you should listen to wendull

Tightlines667

Quote from: wendull on March 27, 2015, 12:06:06 AM
I don't think you should listen to wendull

Woa..do we have a multipersonality thing goin on here?

A properly ground, precision slotted head will fit better, however a good phillips (like Brownelle's antitorque #2) will grab the heads good as well.  Just be thankful these are not the Shimano  screws with the split running down the center (like 4 Quadrant retaining screws in the Tiagras), since your bit will stay true if worse comes to worse, and you are forced to drill them out.  Try a good driver, penetrating oil (like 50:50 acetone:ATF), and heat (like from a soldering iron) first.  These other ones are constantly getting corroded in place, and are really tough to drill out w/o damaging the part.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

I wonder when these guys will start using torx screws if they are using lock-tight. Personally I would rather use a slotted screw driver on tight screws then Philips, and Brownells has the right drivers for such screws. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

wendull

Ok then, I will get a better slotted driver, cant believe how tight these are, don't think they need to put Loctite on these anyway,  thanks

Reel 224

Quote from: wendull on March 27, 2015, 02:14:52 AM
Ok then, I will get a better slotted driver, cant believe how tight these are, don't think they need to put Loctite on these anyway,  thanks

Take your time and don't over force them. It's a sticky situation with the use of lock-tite , on gun scope mounts we use it but the screws are torx type heads that can take the stress of twisting. If you have a fixture to put the reel into without marring it, that will be a tremendous help so you can have a steady hold on the driver with steady pressure. Don't use jerky motions,just steady pressure.     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Reel224 & TL666 are absolutely right.

The right size, hollow-ground screwdriver, pictured on the right, below -- with a firm approach -- will work.

A lot of these Shimano screws nowadays, are not designed for multiple inserts and removals. 

In many cases with manufacturers of today -- we have lost the ability to break down a reel multiple times -- without needing new screws, or enlarging the holes where they thread into graphite or aluminum.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wendull

Thanks for the input,I didn't have to use heat, but, like you said , slow steady pressure worked, almost like I was waiting for it to turn, now, must go find "ground slotted driver"

Slazmo

I was taught to do the following with 'suicide screw's'. Ones that are soft or have a tendency to strip out.

1/8th tighten and then within the same motion unscrew as usual. And always a screwdriver that fits snugly, never a old driver or one with a defect.

Did a few of the Daiwa 'suicide screw's' today without any failures, and - they - were - in - tight!

With screw's with both flat and phillips head options, I always use the flat screwdriver to initially crack open the screw and then unscrew with the phillips, then re-drive it home with the phillips.

Torx, hmm not sure with them. Seems that its Daiwa's new thing to trap people to get them to send back reels to them with reels that adorn the fancy Torx headed screw's. I think its more for fashion more than function in most respects.

UKChris

I don't know about elsewhere in the world but here in the UK if you are dismantling firearms that cost more than most cars, you use turnscrews not screwdrivers (or get an expert to do so). These are precision-fitted to the screws exactly as in the little picture above. You don't want to scratch £10,000 of engraving by slipping!

Reel 224

Quote from: UKChris on March 27, 2015, 03:12:44 PM
I don't know about elsewhere in the world but here in the UK if you are dismantling firearms that cost more than most cars, you use turnscrews not screwdrivers (or get an expert to do so). These are precision-fitted to the screws exactly as in the little picture above. You don't want to scratch £10,000 of engraving by slipping!

That is exactly right, working on firearms that are of the upper price range, everything has to fit correctly.

The torx screws have a definite function for tightening screws to the umpthed degree, hence the name torx. I don't see the need for tightening screws on most reels to that degree but where it is necessary I believe the torx head screw would be best. IMO

When it comes to tools such as screwdrivers in this case, those that are made for general purposes such as wood working are fine for that work. But machine tool are for just that close tolerances such as precision equipment. Reels,Guns,Electronics, etc.etc

mmayo

First, I buy this product for my use and have purchased 6 more as gifts for my fishing buddies in the Barking Spiders.  I do not work for Megapro!  Check Amazon for the best price.

I really like the Megapro screwdriver, I use the stainless steel model because it goes on fishing trips in case someone's reel needs work.  It has almost all of the bits you will want, and yes perfect bits for Shimano screws.  It also has a Philips that is perfect for Avets.  I say this because all philips bits are not the same size, but this set fits all reels I have repaired.  I use this one comfortable screwdriver for all my reel work.   I did buy one accessory bit for the Avet Raptor and HX which has two hex end that are the exact sizes to match this reels: 3/32 and 7/64. 

Behold

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

Reel 224

I have the very same set that I bought in an electrical supply house a good fifteen years ago. I have used that set for just about everything around the home, it's really handy having the different bits and the way the handle turns independent of the driver is friendly to the wrist.