113h drag question

Started by STRIPER LOU, March 26, 2015, 06:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Hi all, just finished a full service on a 113h. Aside from a cleaning and greasing all looked great. I replaced the under gear washer with an .031 larger diameter delrin washer. Cals on the drags and re- assembled.
Reel feels great but maybe just a bit too much drag when the drag is backed all the way off. The last 2 metal washers in the drag stack were one thick and one thin. Will 2 thin fix the problem or do I have to go to an .020 delrin, or am I looking at this whole thing the wrong way. ( the drag stack is ht100 )
Your comments please.
...........Lou

broschro

You are on the right track. Try the thinner metal washers.

foakes

Hi Lou --

The washers can be switched around easily enough --

However, if you think you have the washers where you want them -- I generally just change the spacer out.

Or just file or sand around 1/16" (these file easy, so take it easy here) off of the spacer.

Doesn't affect anything in your stack, and you keep all of your drag numbers -- just gives you a little less drag when the star is backed off all of the way.  Your star has more travel adjustment . 

Quick and easy.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Doug

The last metal washer in the stack should be the thick one , it prevents distortion of the stack under heavy pressure.
Fred is right just take a  little off the spacer   Doug

STRIPER LOU

Thank you Fred and that worked out perfectly. .010 off the spacer did the trick. The spacer was chrome over brass and not SS. Even though its well greased does this create a problem for wear being the brass is now exposed?
Also thanks to Doug for explaining the reason for the metal washer setup. I've got lots to learn!
..................Lou

Doug

Lou
the amount of brass exposed is almost nothing its pressed up tight against the drag washers or the star , depending how you placed it. In any case I've not seen nor had a problem  Doug