Big Tim's Friday Fishn' Trip May 22, 2015 Moro Bay CA.

Started by Big Tim, March 28, 2015, 10:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

Alan if you get a chance could you post a photo of how you rig whole squid?
I hate rigging on the ride out. Grandpa always said "Keep your eyes up ." If I do that the first couple of hours I dont get seasick😄
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

alantani

i buy the 3 pound blocks at the local chinese market, usually one block per person should do it. it's a very simple two hook shrimp fly rig with a weight at the bottom.  rather than hang strips of squid, i hang the whole squid by the pointy end.  it's the most simple rig imaginable!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: theswimmer on May 06, 2015, 09:27:31 AM
Alan if you get a chance could you post a photo of how you rig whole squid?
I hate rigging on the ride out. Grandpa always said "Keep your eyes up ." If I do that the first couple of hours I dont get seasick😄
Swimmer, check out this rig.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13561.0 As Alan said simple.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

theswimmer

Thanks guys.
It is the same type of rig that has worked off the California coast forever.
Just the using whole squid thing had me imagining some complex rig that I did not want to spend my first hour on the boat tying.
Dom are you coming?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Dominick

No I'm not going.  Alan is right about just hooking the squid through the pointy end and you are good to go.  However, I rig the squid for short strikes.  You run the hook through the tail, follow through with the line then hook through the mantle and end up with the hook in between the eyes.  This works best on small squid.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Big Tim

Shrimp fly rig with a 12oz +/- weight and long strips or whole squid is a killer in these waters.I like a jig 4oz to 8oz depending on the water depth with a dropper loop 7/0 hook teaser about 12-16" above with a whole squid hooked thru the tip, pulled thru and reversed hooked thru the body about 3" down. If they are there they will bite.

alantani

that's funny.  i was looking at the name of the guy that designed them, rick teitz. i knew a guy by that name that was an ER doc up at lake tahoe.  doubt that it's the same guy, but it can't be that common of a name. 

Big Tim

pangamaster

Hey Alan do we need to bring our own squid for this trip?
Anything worth doing....is worth doing well!

Big Tim

Quote from: pangamaster on May 09, 2015, 11:48:10 PM
Hey Alan do we need to bring our own squid for this trip?

The boat will provide bait. Most likely cut up squid. If you want whole squid it advised to bring a box or 2. This is usually available at check in.

Tim

El Pescador

We are now down one guy!

Just heard from my buddy Rick, and he is "tapping out", WILL NOT be attending this trip, something about his son graduating from college.

I'll be there and again, if any one needs a Hotel 6 room reservation for $55/night, I am holding an extra until closer to the event, and if not needed, will cancel it.

REALLY looking forward to meeting you AT.com members on this trip!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

pangamaster

I'm fired up to fish with the reel pros!  I'm getting whole squid and gunning for the big dogs!  My reels are ready thanks to Brian and Alan!  Looking forward to meeting you all!
Dave

alantani

i spoke to glenn about bait.  not sure what they normally do, but glen sells 5 pound blocks of whole squid for $12, so i will be getting one of those.  when we fish on my boat, we typically go through 2 pounds per person.  if you limit out on rockfish first and have extra squid for lingcod, you can hang two or three squid just for giggles.  it's gotta be more appetizing that just one!

Bryan Young

That's not a bad price.  I may need to get a box to share as well.  I'm hoping white sea bass will be around.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pangamaster

I'll pitch in for some extra whole squid!  I just purchased some new Jax Jigs! Look out Lingcod!