500 to 501 questions

Started by pyros46290, March 29, 2015, 11:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyros46290

Lets just say I really love my 500's. They never fail and can handle every species that I fish for. I run 65# braid line all the time so the 500 spool holds just a crap load of line, and I really dont even get to use half of it. So if i got the 500 in a narrower version it would hold just about the right amount of line i would realistically use or need. So i have been looking into converting one of my 500 to a 501 and got a couple questions.
-are all 500/501 side plates interchangeable?
-do i just need the frame bars, reel seat and spool to convert a 500 to 501?
-would a tiburon frame and spool be direct 'bolt on', and is it 'worth it'?
-tiburon web site says 'wont work with chinese made reels'. how do i know if it is chinese made?

Keta

"-are all 500/501 side plates interchangeable?"

Yes

"-do i just need the frame bars, reel seat and spool to convert a 500 to 501?"

Yes

"-would a tiburon frame and spool be direct 'bolt on', and is it 'worth it'?

Yes for "bolt on", the other half is subjective.  Penn 29L-501 spools are hard to come by and not cheep (I'm looking for 2 myself), cross bars are easier to find but they are also not cheep ($7.50x4).  Price the Penn parts and the Tiburone kit, then determine if it is "worth it" to you.  It was to me.

"-tiburon web site says 'wont work with chinese made reels'. how do i know if it is chinese made?"

Somewhere, probably on the stand, there should be "made in china".  I'm just guessing here, I've never seen a PRC Jigmaster.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Or, it might ultimately prove less costly to find a decent 501 on fleaBay (assuming you don't overpay), something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-SALE-PENN-JIGMASTER-501-/261823925196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf5ec0bcc

That way, you'd have two great Jigmasters to cover all your angling possibilities.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Aiala on March 29, 2015, 01:33:37 PM
Or, it might ultimately prove less costly to find a decent 501 on fleaBay (assuming you don't overpay), something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-SALE-PENN-JIGMASTER-501-/261823925196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf5ec0bcc

That way, you'd have two great Jigmasters to cover all your angling possibilities.  :)

~A~

That's a nice specimen...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

There is still 2-1/2 days to go on it, it will go for much higher than $25.00 though.    I picked up a really nice maroon 501 that was posted as "large deep sea reel" for $28.00 and was the only bid.  It looked unused.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pyros46290

haha i was already watching that reel on ebay. didnt want to mention it and have to start bidding against you guys and drive up the price  :D  that may just be the route i ultimately go, so i have 2 complete reels. keep the 500 for cattle boats and the 501 for use on my boat for sturgeon, halibut, salmon, lings etc. I think its a little overkill for stripers out here, there are good numbers of them but the vast majority is on the smaller side so i have been using light bass gear on them and lovin it

Black Pearl

Quote from: pyros46290 on March 29, 2015, 03:22:20 PM
haha i was already watching that reel on ebay. didnt want to mention it and have to start bidding against you guys and drive up the price  :D  that may just be the route i ultimately go, so i have 2 complete reels. keep the 500 for cattle boats and the 501 for use on my boat for sturgeon, halibut, salmon, lings etc. I think its a little overkill for stripers out here, there are good numbers of them but the vast majority is on the smaller side so i have been using light bass gear on them and lovin it

Don't forget that you can also replace the spacer bars with the SS spacer bars I made.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12127.0

pyros46290

those are nice crossbars. any chance there will be another run of the 4:1 SS gear sets?

Aiala

Quote from: Black Pearl on March 29, 2015, 03:38:19 PM
Don't forget that you can also replace the spacer bars with the SS spacer bars I made.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12127.0

Yup... I did that! (Tiburon plates, too.) ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Black Pearl

Quote from: pyros46290 on March 29, 2015, 04:36:09 PM
those are nice crossbars. any chance there will be another run of the 4:1 SS gear sets?

We are in the progress for 2nd generation 4:1 gear set. It should be available in few months.

Thanks,
--Alan

Doug

Once you use the 501 you will not like the 500 so much. The 501 allows easier line handling ( keeping the line on the reel level). It has less of a tendency to  rock or wobble  during retrieve with a good size fish on as due other narrow reels. Just my opinion. Doug

pyros46290

ok while on topic of the side plates, i have seen some 500s (i think they were 500s anyway) that have the metal ring around the outside edge of the side plates. is that the side plate off another reel or can you add a ring onto the side plate??

Porthos

If you were in Chino Hills, (a.k.a, L.A vincinity) you could jump on this:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/spo/4929236889.html

pyros46290

yeah that would be nice if it was local, ill keep scouring until i come across one. or at least some parts. thats a heck of a deal for whoever gets it though