112H refurbish, my thoughts or yours? Parts needed!

Started by STRIPER LOU, March 29, 2015, 04:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Hi all, picked up a 112h with open top TIB frame off the famous website. Well it looked really great in the pics but when I got it, internally UGH! Outside it looked pretty darn clean. Tightened down the drag an turned the handle and 20/30 rotation. Gear sleeve shot!!!! Main gear hole size .005 worn oversize (wobble city) and with that condition I would have to expect the pinion gear cant be much better. Contacted the seller. Standup guy. Said it was his GF's reel and had thought it was in pretty good shape. Offered a refund without question, offered another reel in addition
for parts but I wasn't looking to take advantage of him and my suggestion was to make a concession for the repair parts and that would be satisfactory!
I have some thoughts but looking for the expert opinions available here.
Go with an SS sleeve to start. Looks like coarse thread. Looking at Alan's pics the coarse seems to have 8 threads showing and the fine has 12. Where's the best place to get one that requires no mods?
Bridge seems ok.
Main gear and pinion need replacing. Its steel, looks like about 60 teeth give or take and pinion about 12 give or take. Looks like 5:1. I know the guys here aren't crazy about that ratio for the JM's or the 112h's. Even though I have some 5:1 JM gears would I be better off with stock and if so does anyone have a set they would like to sell? Might be looking for a Star wheel also. ( has lightweight aluminum one )
Already has HT100's and Sal was kind enough to send me the Delrin custom belville and SS spacer. Should I put a carbontex under the main?
The balance looks like a general service as the rest of the parts seem to be ok. I would also move the power handle to the middle position from the outer one where he had it. Probably one of the reasons for its demise in the first place! Also with this frame what is the reels weak spot? Is it the Gear sleeve, gears, and drag system. What's the max drag I can expect?
I really don't want to put a ton of money into it as I remember the last one I had didn't provide enough drag and I thought the line capacity with leadcore was a bit lite. I actually remember chasing a few big fish down and I went back to the 4/0's. My other thoughts were to just fix it and add it to the collection!
Looking for the best way to go.
Thanks in advance,  ..  Lou

trond_solem

0.005" oversize? That is 0.005 larger hole than the OD of the gear sleeve?
You need that clearance to avoid it seizing up against the gear sleeve.
The gear is stabilized against the under gear washer and the gear sleeve ratchet flat.

Replace the rounded off gear sleeve and you will be good.
The main gear in the 112H is the exact same as in the jigmaster. Forget about the aluminium star wheel. You will strip the threads in it when tightening down the drag.
The 98-60 SS gear sleeve from Alan is perfect. No mods neccessary.

Doug

One upgrade that's  not talked about too much is the heavy spacer sleeve that pro challenger / black pearl  makes . It 's a cheap fix to take out the play in the handle and keep the gears aligned when under load. costs under $4. I would try to keep the steel main gear if you can , they are stronger than the brass at least until the 4:1 SS ones come out again. Alan of black pearl is working on them. The SS gear sleeve is a must for that reel replace that and then check the gears. At least that's what I would do    Doug

alantani

post the parts you need and i will see what i have.  i have plenty of old98-60 brass gear sleeves and 10-60 stars.  the gears are ok? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

STRIPER LOU

Thanks for the reply's so far. When I saw the wear on the bottom of the gear sleeve and a burr on the backside of the gear I thought it just wasn't right. Don't seem to remember that much play between the main gear and the gear sleeve on a 113 so figured it was worn. The top of the sleeve was kaput!
Alan, not a good idea to change to SS gear sleeve? Will let you know after checking parts more closely which ones I need. What's the most drag you can get out of this and not cause problems?
Thanks,  ..  Lou

alantani

the decision on stainless steel versus brass depends on how hard you intend to lean on this reel.  it's not something i recommend automatically.  figure 6-7 pounds with brass, 7-10 with stainless, as a good working range. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Lou, reels of today could be pushed a little more than we were able to in the past., we have better drags and that make a world of difference.
if the reel was set up with the older thick washers, I would be concerned pushing it over 10lbs, but with greased carbon fiber washers and a Delrin washer for under the gear, I don't see any problems  pushing it to 15lbs. You could easily increase drags on a reel, but that reel needs to be smooth or it will back fire on you, our reels are silky smooth.
I personally prefer the 501 Jigmaster over the 112H, I believe that reel with all of the upgrades  is a much stronger reel.
Penn specs on a stock Jigmaster is 15lbs max, If you load up your Jigmaster with all of the goodies available here, you should be able to push it to 20lbs, you will do just fine.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.