Pitting

Started by dustin.brace, December 02, 2010, 04:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadge

Quote from: norcal pescador on December 02, 2010, 05:12:39 PM
Dustin,
I'm assuming you're referring to chrome pitting. I had the same issue on most of my Penns and I did the best I could with it. I don't mind small amounts of brass showing through, because I'm mainly after function. How I dealt with it was: [1] took a brass-bristled brush to remove the green crusty junk, [2] steel wool to get the parts smooth, [3] then Brasso to polish the metal. If the parts were too far gone after the steel wool to make them passable in my eye, I just replaced them. Mostly posts [part #37] and side plate rings got replaced. I made sure the post in the top front position was especially smooth (new) so it wouldn't chafe my line as I reeled in.

With that said, several others have reported good results with CLR cleaner. Have you checked out mysticparts.com? You can get an idea on what it'll cost for parts to get the finished product you want. Hope this helps.
Rob
Rob,
I see you use steel wool, I've been having great results with brass wool with rubbing compound it removes most pits and build up and doesn't harm the chrome. I use a good amount of rubbing compound with the brass wood.
Hadge
Hadge

Norcal Pescador

Hadge,
I hadn't heard of brass wool. Where would I find it? Sounds good if it won't damage the chrome. If the chrome is pitted/corroded so bad that it blisters up, I figure I'm just knocking off the lumps anyway. ;D  If I can find some brass wool I'll give it a try.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Hadge

Rob,
The brass wool is used mainly on boats because if we leave some behind it will not rust and stain the boat. My father taught me about brass wood as we worked on boats years ago.
It is a bit easer on the chrome plus it will not rust if you should mistakenly leave some behind of the reel. But I do use a good amount of rubbing compound with the brass wool.
Let me know if you like it.
Oh as to where to get it, boat supply stores and some hardware stores carry it.
Hadge
Hadge

broadway

Brass wool does exist, but it won't get rid of pitting on/under chrome...(Taken from Wikipedia)--Pitting corrosion, or pitting, is a form of extremely localized corrosion that leads to the creation of small holes in the metal.  On the other hand if your talking about the green corrosion dunk in distilled vinegar to stop the continuation of corrosion.  
Dom  

Alto Mare

I've been using stainless steel wool, I get it on line and  it comes in fine-medium and coarse. I know that you guys are not crazy about wd-40 but I just use it to clean the chromed parts. All I do is to dab the ss wool in wd-40 and go at it, I decide which wool to use depending on how bad it is, when it's really bad I use something else, the trash can and don't waste any time on it ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 28, 2010, 05:41:34 AM
Funny that I happen to gravitate to this sight, and now a moderator.  I used to wrap custom fishing rods professionally for about 20 years.  If you have any general fishing rod questions, you may PM me directly.
I didn't know you did that Bryan" jack of all trades" do you still customize any?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.