reel handles

Started by Krabby Patties, March 30, 2015, 01:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krabby Patties

I have a bunch of deer antlers laying around. Ive been thinking about changing out the handle to a piece of the base of the antler.  I would smooth down the rough burrs a touch. This would give me a fist full to grab on to and look kinda cool (I think). I just dont know how to remove the handle grip and reattach the antler. Has anyone used antler in the past that can comment on how antler will hold up.

thorhammer

never used an antler but thats a cool idea. you may be able to  drill out the old knob and replace with a post screw counter sunk and epoxied into the antler. i've done this to replace knobs before but wish I'd thought about antler....nice

Krabby Patties

Id sand it down a little to knock off the hot spots, but leave a little texture to it. Then rub it with leather to polish it up. Debating on a light clear coat for protection, but that would make it a little more slick. If it wasnt sanded too smooth that shouldnt be an issue.

Islandgypsy

That's a very cool idea. I use a lot of antler...numerous door and drawer pulls, lamps etc. Antler is hard and durable, can be drilled, tapped and threaded using standard tooling. However, it doesn't make a good bearing surface, you may want to press in a brass or SS sleeve if there is any rotation going on, depending on how you make it. Would really like to see and hear what you come up with, good luck with your project!

vilters

great idea, hope you do it & post pics. I made a shift handle for my first car, 69 mustang 4 spd out of deer antler  :D

Krabby Patties

Yeah, I thought about putting a liner in the hole unless the rotation was between the antler and the arm. I don't know where to get the parts though. Just thought of it this morning. I'll have to start looking around. I could do like said above and drill the rivet out of the old handle and then press and epoxy the antler onto the existing shaft. But then I'm out a handle if it doesn't turn out. Anyone have any components they want to donate to an experiment?