Penn 113H YTS centering spool right-left

Started by jbaj007, December 03, 2010, 11:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbaj007

I have a 113H Penn Special Senator, USA made, ~1996 (clicker). Left handed retrieve. YTS Newell narrow spool conversion I recently swapped in.

Everything works exactly as it should; great freespool time, clean, oil in bearings (not grease) Ht100's with a light coat of Cal's, light coat of blue grease on the gears and screws.

What I'd like to know: is there a way to center the spool (left to right)?? The handle side of the spool shows 1-2 mm. more spool edge than the clicker side. Since I saw no shims in the handle side bearing cup(as on some maker's reels), I can't see a way to move the spool to the handle side more. There is no "line-grabber" gap, just uneven exposure of the spool edge landings.

The bearings are 1/8x3/8x5/32. I can get 1/8x3/8x9/16 easily and pick up some room that way?
Mill the bearing cup a tad?
Live with it?

Does someone know what the true "thrust" surface of the spool shaft is? Inner bearing race? Can't be the pinion, 'cause that moves? Bottom of bearing cup?
Thank you, Bruce

alantani

if it spins and cranks ok, i'd leave it.  milling the bearing cup would not be an option, nor could you mill out the side plate.  a millimeter is ALOT of material. your best bet would be to mill the spool shaft.  you could also tap on the spool shaft to move it over, but then you would loosen it and the spool might actually start slipping on the shaft. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jbaj007

Thank you.
I disassembled the reel and looked at the spool again. The shaft has been spiral knurled, pressed and epoxied in, so I would be sure to ruin something if I forced that. Interestingly, the shoulder of the shaft has been left "proud" by just the amount that shows as spool "shift. So, it appears as manufacturing variance ;)

I'll use your sage advice and fish it as is. It does function well...

Thank you, again, for your expertise and communication skills in presenting the technical aspects of reel repair, maintainance and modification. I am returning to the sport after a 10 year hiatus and have found your name to be the internet "gold standard" in this field.
Bruce

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!