blue rags

Started by alantani, December 04, 2010, 08:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Where do you get those blue towels I always see in your tutorials? I've tried using the red shop towels like you use for cars and all I get from them is a lot of fuzz.

the blue ones have alot of fuzz, too.  you just don't see it in any of the photos.  so there is a guy in san francisco that owns a huge wholesale auto parts operation.  he called me up out of the blue years ago and said that he loved how i was always trying to help people.  then he said he had these boxes of shop rags and asked if i would like a box.  sure!  when he dropped them off, he would not accept a dime!  i ended up fixing a couple of fishing reels for him and we called it even.  he called up 6 months later and asked if i needed anymore.  still, he would not let me pay for them.  and he's been dropping off a case every 6 months since.  he says he gets them for free but i know if has to cost him something.   :-\  i always offer to pay but he always says no.  guess he's just happy to see them in all the photos.  

the box says "real rags" and i did a google search and came up empty.  so that's the story behind the rags......  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Caranx

Hi Alan,

If you were wondering what the rags were originally used for, I think they are surgical rags.
I use them just for cleaning my reels too. I only have a few so I wash them after every use. (very durable) I've had them for over 15 years.

A friend of mine that gave me the rags delivers laundry and thats where he said they came from.
They are sterilized when you get them.

Stu

Smokin' Drag's Casting Club

alantani

if i tried to wash them, my wife would have my hide! ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

qcguy4198

Blue surgical towels( "drapes" actually...used in the operating room to cover the portions of the patient NOT being cut on.) NO lint or fuzz...VERY durable. I'm fortunate to have an in-house nurse who also doubles as "Crew" on the offshore boat. She brought a bag of them home several years ago...and I've only gone through a few as they're hard to wear out.
Alan....you might try throwing your used ones in the dishwasher next time you have a coupla reels to clean...!!! ::) ;D ;D

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: qcguy4198 on January 15, 2012, 11:18:58 AM
Alan....you might try throwing your used ones in the dishwasher next time you have a coupla reels to clean...!!! ::) ;D ;D

;D            ;D                 ;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on January 15, 2012, 05:54:20 AM
if i tried to wash them, my wife would have my hide! ;D
And then it would be all over for us too. Do us a favor and keep them dirty ;)
I used to was my dropcloths at the laundromat :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ken_D

I've got a couple of these things...so far, no lint from the paper products sold up this way. New, about 5.00.
Used, at a jumble sale: 2 for a buck.