501 Jiggy acting up.

Started by Rancanfish, April 02, 2015, 04:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Just sitting here playing with some reels after working on the boat...

Holding a 501, cranking it in gear with about 3/4's of the drag tightened down.  Oddly it cranks along real smooth for different amounts of time.  At a certain point, it puts the brakes on the spool by itself somehow????   Lasts for three or four turns, then lets off for a few turns, then mildly puts the brakes on.

I can't picture in my mind what could cause the intermittent slow down.   

Any idea where I should start looking?  Greased standard drags, stainless spacer, AccuFrame, stock sideplates is the set up.

If I back off the tension knob, it stops, but not until I introduce spool slop side to side.  I don't understand how it can come and go.  It does not go away if I back off the star drag.  Hmmm.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

Hold the spool from turning with your thumb and turn the handle and see if this fixes the problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Nope.  When I release my thumb it cranks a bit and then.....brakes.

Ok this morning I pulled off the sideplate and crank and it's obviously in my gearbox/drag stack.

Now two minutes later it has stopped.  Great - a reel with a mind of its own.

Now when I hold the spool, crank and release, the problem is back.  And gone........

What were you thinking with your question Lee?  Since my answer is both yes and no now?  :o

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

otghoyt

Look at the spool engagement slot on your main gear and see if the ears are straight and the reinforcing ring is in it's proper place and sittin pretty.  I had a  Bluefin Tuna freight train my 146 Squidder and all that got rearranged.  Did exactly the same thing.  It was rubbing on the spool shaft.  About drove me to *%$*@&*)  off!!!