Would a Jigmaster do the job?

Started by Jason Groombridge, April 02, 2015, 04:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Groombridge

G'day Guys,

I do a fair bit of bottom fishing which I use spinners for at the moment but would like an overhead. I fish in 60-150 metres with up to 16oz of sinker at times to hold bottom. I'd like a reel that will hold about 300 metres of 50lb braid. The fish I catch are not monsters and don't pull really hard so 5-6kg of drag should be heaps. The reel may see occasional use for trolling lures for albacore and small bluefin.

Will a Jigmaster do the trick? And what variant would be better/best for may application? As I don't need to cast freespool is not an issue. I think the 501 may suit as it's narrower I think. Would 4:1 be OK for this or would 5:1 be better?

I may do some upgrades such as a Tib frame later on but would probably just do the drag and a replacement handle to start with.

Any suggestions appreciated. Or if you can think of any other reels of the same ilk that will do the job, please let me know.

Cheers

Jason

bestout

as far as i know jigmaster the max its around 8lb max drag and you want 5-6kg which is around 12lbs
The monsters in my head are scared......

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Jason:  the Jigmaster would be sweet for what you are doing, provided you put in a drag kit of some type.  they are easy to install. the jigmaster is very light in weight making jigging and handling nice compared to larger clunkier reels.......  Its a great place to start,  many upgrades are available, and they are not expensive either! 

Tightlines667

I am excited to get my jigmasters set up.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: bestout on April 02, 2015, 04:35:31 AM
as far as i know jigmaster the max its around 8lb max drag and you want 5-6kg which is around 12lbs
I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, here is the Jigmaster's specs straight from Penn:
http://www.pennfishing.com/PENN%C2%AE-Jigmaster%C2%AE-Star-Drag/1285653,default,pd.html#start=20&sz=16

Our Jigmasters are not the same.
Installing Black pearl's stainless steel guts you could push the Jigmaster to 20lbs, mine will be pushed harder, but we're recommending 20lbs max.
We've done good here, even with the expense of the upgrades, you will not find a better reel of the same size anywhere.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jason Groombridge

Thanks for the replies,

If I upgrade the drag, should I also go for a stainless sleeve?

And what is the difference between the variants? So far I have seen 500S, 500L, 501 (which is a narrow I think), 505, 506. Why do some have red sideplates and some black?

Cheers

Jason

thorhammer

500S is a std width featuring red delrin sideplates and only manufactured a couple of years in the early 70's. it has a left side take apart function rather than ride side as on earlier 500's and later 500L's. i love the S, i think I have 4. The S had some SS parts inside which i pleasantly discovered when i got my first one (used to be had for $15 bucks, not so much now). S also had aluminum spools. 500L has black plates and may have SS or Aluminum spool depending on DOM. 501 is a narrowed 500; all mechanics are the same. 505 is a ball bearing version, 506 is is a narrowed 505. while some parts are interchangeable, the 505/6 series has fine thread gear sleeves and star. All excellent reels in their way. regardless of which way you go, if it's an older maroon 500 with plastic spool, i would definitely replace that first followed by drag kit and handle. Thats my .02; there are a hundred guys on this site who are way more knowledgeable and brilliant technicians than I and can advise you that many different ways to set it up. IMO, I'd go with 4:1 gears if youre hauling up a pound of lead, even at that depth i'd want a little power especially if there is any chance you'll troll up a tunny.

oh one point about the 500's: be really certain to check your spool to frame tolerance so 50 lb braid is not going to slip between; you may need toi go 65 with a topshot and just fish your drag at 12l lbs anyway. while the quick take apart will facilitate you mending that situation should it happen,  not advisable in middle of bluefin fight :)

good luck!

Jason Groombridge

G'day TH,

Thanks for the insight into the different models.

If the spool to frame clearance is a bit loose I might even go with 80lb braid and just fish 12lb drag. How much 80lb braid do you reckon a 501 would hold? I guess I would need about 300 yards.

Does the Tiburon spool and frame kit for the 501 fix the clearance issue? I'm also guessing that a 500 can be converted to narrow with the Tiburon kit for the 501.

Cheers

Jason

Alto Mare

I've been using jigmasters for some time now, I never had problems with line getting caught, but the lowest I use is 20lbs mono on those. The problem might be from the user not having the spool centered, I know that some that like to add shims, but the spool should always be centered on all star reels.
Try it for yourself, I'm betting you could not push a 20lbs mono between the spool and rings, just make sure the edge of the spool looks the same on both sides.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 02, 2015, 11:41:46 PM
I've been using jigmasters for some time now, I never had problems with line getting caught, but the lowest I use is 20lbs mono on those. The problem might be from the user not having the spool centered, I know that some that like to add shims, but the spool should always be centered on all star reels.
Try it for yourself, I'm betting you could not push a 20lbs mono between the spool and rings, just make sure the edge of the spool looks the same on both sides.
Sal
what Sal said.... With 20 lb mono prolly ok.  And he would know if anyone as one of the top technicians around in this subject.  Now to your question 80 braid on a 501 kit: you will quickly lose line load diameter on the spool dropping 200 feet and find yourself reeling like hell to retrieve that pound of lead for rebait. I personally wouldn't go 80 and use 65 PP for grouper here in NC. It has never failed me and I am 250lbs and leaning in big tasty to get him off the ledge.  Aftermarket frame and maybe spool are in order and there are hours if reading on this site for SS gear, sleeves and drag stacks to do what you want.   

Best luck!   

Keta

Quote from: Jason Groombridge on April 02, 2015, 10:58:01 PM
If the spool to frame clearance is a bit loose I might even go with 80lb braid and just fish 12lb drag. How much 80lb braid do you reckon a 501 would hold? I guess I would need about 300 yards.

I use 60# JB Spectra on reels this size and so far no problem, 80# is too thick for fishing deep.  We fish 180m (600') and deeper for Pacific halibut and the difference between 80# and 60# is very noticeable, sometimes it takes 25% more lead to keep on the bottom with 80# if there is a lot of current.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bestout

Quote from: Keta on April 03, 2015, 01:46:40 AM
Quote from: Jason Groombridge on April 02, 2015, 10:58:01 PM

I use 60# JB Spectra on reels this size and so far no problem, 80# is too thick for fishing deep.  We fish 180m (600') and deeper for Pacific halibut and the difference between 80# and 60# is very noticeable, sometimes it takes 25% more lead to keep on the bottom with 80# if there is a lot of current.

how do you spool them?? i want to put spectra on mines but im worried it will slip

Keta

For my own reels I put a short section of 50# dacron on the spool, enough to cover the spool with one layer, then tie the spectra to it.  Vet Wrap, sometimes called Flex Wrap, on the spool works too.  Electrical tape will probably work.

Use 10# of tension when spooling Spectra.

I sell JB Line One Spectra, if interested I will give you the prices to compare.  It can be shipped anywhere.

Mark Twain

bestout

Quote from: Keta on April 03, 2015, 02:39:04 AM
For my own reels I put a short section of 50# dacron on the spool, enough to cover the spool with one layer, then tie the spectra to it.  Vet Wrap, sometimes called Flex Wrap, on the spool works too.  Electrical tape will probably work.

tyvm