Carbontex too thick?

Started by aus bass, December 04, 2010, 10:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aus bass

Doing an upgrade an old Abu Black Max 3600 reel and ordered some carbontex drag washers (Jack Erskine supplies them in AUS) that had to be custom cut. Anyway when i attempted to replace the washers in the reel i realised that the carbontex are approx 2x the height of the standard washers. when i replaced the stack it was too high. The stack is 3 washers thick (ie material washer / metal washer / material / metal / material / metal). Would reducing the overal stack to just 1 or 2 carbontex to a similar height affect the drag?

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers  :D
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

alantani

the carbontex drag washers for the standard ambassaduer 4, 5 and 6,000 series reels are super thin.  i bet those would work.  mr. erskine should have those in stock. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

aus bass

You wouldn't happen to know the dimensions of these washers would you? I wonder if they'd be a similar fit.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

alantani

this i can do!  there is one small drag washer under the main gear and it measures 8.00mm ID x 20.45mm OD x 0.43mm TH.  the three larger drag washers inside the main gear measure 8.00mm ID x 23.00mm OD x 0.43mm TH.  these drag washers are the thinnest available.  i am certain they will solve your problem.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

aus bass

Roger

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain