Squall 60LD bent handle

Started by RollerGuide, April 02, 2015, 08:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RollerGuide

hello all,
A friend had a minor boating accident and in the process got the handle of his new squall 60ld bent up.
Im from Sri Lanka so no chance of getting a replacement handle quick. So was wondering if we could beat it back into place.
The bend is near the handle part so hard to attempt to straighten it with the handle knob
is there a way to separate the handle knob from the handle arm?
it seem to be fit in place without an option to remove.
But i suppose if they put it together there is a way to take it out, hopefully non destructively :)

I told my friend that we are taking a chance trying to straighten it cos the handle might just break off
thought we'll take a shot anyways

appreciate if anybody have an experience in separating the knob from the handle

johndtuttle

Quote from: RollerGuide on April 02, 2015, 08:03:41 AM
hello all,
A friend had a minor boating accident and in the process got the handle of his new squall 60ld bent up.
Im from Sri Lanka so no chance of getting a replacement handle quick. So was wondering if we could beat it back into place.
The bend is near the handle part so hard to attempt to straighten it with the handle knob
is there a way to separate the handle knob from the handle arm?
it seem to be fit in place without an option to remove.
But i suppose if they put it together there is a way to take it out, hopefully non destructively :)

I told my friend that we are taking a chance trying to straighten it cos the handle might just break off
thought we'll take a shot anyways

appreciate if anybody have an experience in separating the knob from the handle

I am not sure of the exact method of manufacture but believe it is a pressed in part. Unfortunately, the same force applied to the other end to remove it would destroy it as it is narrower and is of a lesser strength being hollow with threads inside.

It is effectively permanent.

It can be removed by drilling it out with a drill press. This of course destroys the knob shaft. However, this can be used as an opportunity to add an aftermarket knob. Many come with replacement knob shafts that then can be used.