inshore reel advice

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, April 05, 2015, 11:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Trying to decide between a Okuma Komodo 364P or a Daiwa Lexa 400. I am looking to finish my inshore setup and have narrowed it down to those two, any advice would be great. Mainly running 20lb topshot with braid backing. Aiming at calicos, any bass, barracudas on the surface, some reds when I travel. If someone has a better suggestion for a reel, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

johndtuttle

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on April 05, 2015, 11:30:36 AM
Trying to decide between a Okuma Komodo 364P or a Daiwa Lexa 400. I am looking to finish my inshore setup and have narrowed it down to those two, any advice would be great. Mainly running 20lb topshot with braid backing. Aiming at calicos, any bass, barracudas on the surface, some reds when I travel. If someone has a better suggestion for a reel, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

The Daiwa Lexa 400 is significantly bigger, the Lexa 300 and the Okuma should be closer in size. I'd get the Lexa 400 if I wanted more capacity for schoolie tuna or yellows on the surface. The 300 is the local bassin' reel.

Both are outstanding reels and there is very, very little to differentiate between the offerings from Okuma, Daiwa, Shimano and Abu Garcia in this category.

Okuma gears are Stainless Steel (will still need a pre-service and drag lube with cals) the Daiwa are brass. Okuma is rumored to be coming out with a larger one at ICAST but don't expect to see them in stores for 6 months.

Newell Nut

This is what you need on the ISWB945 Acid rod from Adam.

bluefish69

That's one of my favorite Newell Reels. I use it the most of all that I have.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

STRIPER LOU

x3 on the newell 220. Just a great little reel and would also be a good savings cost wise. Good luck with the decision!
..............lou

Keta

Quote from: bluefish69 on April 05, 2015, 03:37:33 PM
That's one of my favorite Newell Reels. I use it the most of all that I have.

Mike

I did not get a chance to use my 220 yet, thanks again, but it's on a rod and will be used soon.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

If you're going old school, to me, anyone of these would be a good choice

The 220 is a great little reel, this guy that is crazy about Newells sent me that one a while back and I love it. I have been  enjoying using the 100, it's a little more compact, the gears are a little smaller than the 220, but still just as strong. You also have the option to change spools in seconds, in case you needed to. With that said, I like all the reels listed above and have a few more.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 05, 2015, 03:31:44 PM

This is what you need on the ISWB945 Acid rod from Adam.

In the interest of creating discussion (not an argument :)) the answer is "no". :D

A Newell is a terrific caster of *mono* and a great bait reel. It is not a terrific caster of straight braid for use with hard baits and rubber swim baits.

The new baitcasters with cast controls and levelwinds are terrific casters of straight braid.

So rather than having your reel hold a marginal amount of 20-30lb mono line you can spool your modern levelwind baitcaster with 60lb braid to a short 40-60lb fluoro leader in a kelp cutter rig. Absolutely superior for bassin' in the kelp beds, if you hook a yellow in the process at Cedros or offshore casting poppers to schoolies and get into 30lb tuna then you have something you can really tug on.

The leading edge. Absolutely a joy to fish.

ps. They will also cast a live bait as well as anything with their micro light spools. :)

MarkT

I've got 50# spectra on my baitcasters with a leader of 40#. No need to go down to 20# even locally with plastics or lures.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

I run my lexa 300 hs-p  with 40# braid and 50# mono short leader.. but my always first choice is a calcutta 400te on same line ratings .. big sierras have no chance on either reel.
The Baja Guy

SoCalAngler

If your going to be casting plastics all day a level wind reel sure is nice but I don't use them.

Match the above with a 800LX and you will be set.

Also, no need for heavy handles, after market frames (again adding weight) or heavy line. I fish long toppers of 15 lb right in the kelp at times and trying to break off 40 lb is a pain as sooner or later your going to get snagged, thats just part of inshore fishing. I have have tried "kelp cutter" rigs and have not noticed any reduction in snags or ease of getting fish out of the kelp. Why? For me I have found 90% of the time either the lure, hook or hooked fish is what is causing the snag and not the line wrapping something. I find my hookup to landing ratio is just the same with either setup but I feel I'm getting more bites using lighter test. I know others swear by the kelp cutters and thats fine but with the right techniques when fishing heavy cover such as staying in contact with your bait and just not letting line dump into the water, tight drags and lifting your rod high (almost highsticking the rod) using a fast as you can retieve when hooked up or a very slow retieve until you have gotten out of the kelp when it is time to change baits or fishing plactics will reduce your snags a great deal.

handi2

I have one of the Lexa 300's and 2 of the Lexa 400 High Power reels and I think they are some of the best made out there right now. Super strong reels right out of the box.

The 400 low gear ones I have are for heavy inshore and some offshore fishing here in the Gulf of Mexico. I've caugt huge Snapper and Cobia with the Lexa 400 and they are so easy for me to cast with the magnetic control.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fIsHsTiiCkS

First Happy Easter to everyone! Hope you have a had a great time with the families!

John, I know the size difference is big but they are both solid. The Komodo is all aluminum body to, which is nice.

Dwight, I really like the Newell idea and it would be a great pairing with a rod from Adam. However, I'm looking for more of a lighter setup. I started my fishing in freshwater and I am very comfortable with the baitcasters. Plus I will be using braid.

The 20# should be solid for what I have in mind for this, I think 40lb is a little much. This won't be a boat setup really. 

I am most like going to get both and one will be a #20 and one will be a #40 or I will get the komodo and a fathom 25n for the #40. I would go old school as you guys know I have quite a few but the casting performance of modern reels is a big difference.

johndtuttle

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on April 06, 2015, 12:37:42 AM
First Happy Easter to everyone! Hope you have a had a great time with the families!

John, I know the size difference is big but they are both solid. The Komodo is all aluminum body to, which is nice.

Dwight, I really like the Newell idea and it would be a great pairing with a rod from Adam. However, I'm looking for more of a lighter setup. I started my fishing in freshwater and I am very comfortable with the baitcasters. Plus I will be using braid.

The 20# should be solid for what I have in mind for this, I think 40lb is a little much. This won't be a boat setup really. 

I am most like going to get both and one will be a #20 and one will be a #40 or I will get the komodo and a fathom 25n for the #40. I would go old school as you guys know I have quite a few but the casting performance of modern reels is a big difference.

Between the Lexa and the Komodo you simply cannot go wrong. Ideal tools, both very well made.

I appreciate old school for live baiting where all you really are asking for is good free spool, simplicity and light weight.

Casting artificial lures all day is a 'nother kettle of fish...state of the art is quite impressive indeed and the refinements made in modern reels are well worth looking into. Well. Worth. Looking. Into.

:D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 06, 2015, 08:07:03 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on April 06, 2015, 12:37:42 AM

Between the Lexa and the Komodo you simply cannot go wrong. Ideal tools, both very well made.

I appreciate old school for live baiting where all you really are asking for is good free spool, simplicity and light weight.

Casting artificial lures all day is a 'nother kettle of fish...state of the art is quite impressive indeed and the refinements made in modern reels are well worth looking into. Well. Worth. Looking. Into.

:D

Thanks John, I am leaning toward the Komodo, as we dont get huge fish on the inshore over here in socal.