Squidder clicker removal

Started by enfish, April 06, 2015, 08:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enfish

This might be a dumb question, but is there any way to get the clicker tongue and button separated on a Squidder without destroying one or the other of the pieces? The reason I'm doing this is I'm setting up a personalized rig for my 11 year old daughter. I'm having a rod wrapped in purple and blue and wanted to paint the reel to match. That's an easier thing to do if I can get the clicker button off the side plate. Thanks for the help.

Bryan Young

You would need to drill it out and install a new one with a new clicker button.  That would be my guess.

Some of the new ones comes with a c-clip while others have to be peened in.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

enfish

That's what I was afraid of. This one is peened together. Cheaper to manufacture... more expensive to service...

Jerseymic

You could use art masking fluid on the parts you don't want to get paint on.

When the job is done, you just peel it off, a lot easier than using masking tape.

It is worth trying it out on a piece of scrap, to make sure it is okay with whatever paint you are using.

foakes

Hi Eric --

On a replacement clicker, you can either go with another knob you will need to peen (easy to do -- soft metal) --

Or get the one that uses a C clip.

If you wear out a clicker quickly (5 years), go with the C clip.

If it takes 10 or 20 years of steady fishing to wear yours out -- just go with the Peen job.

I keep mine lubed with Yamaha Marine grease -- in the slot, top and bottom, where the clicker impacts the click ring, the copper ring, and the tip.  Also put a bit of grease on the spool clicker wheel on the spool shaft.  It may not be as loud -- but will last possibly longer than the rest of the reel -- and work just fine.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.