Opening day 2015 Salmon Monterey Bay

Started by David Hall, April 07, 2015, 06:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

October 2014 I was looking for someone to service my boat reels, about 25 of them.  I was referred to Alan T.
He asked me a simpke question, "Whay dont you do it yourself?"  Not in a negative way but a curious way.  I dont know how I replied,  Just log onto my website and look for the tutorials.
   Fast forward to opening day April 4, 2015,  With the help of many members and Mr. T himself, all my reels are serviced and most of my fishing buddies are also.  The boat is all ready to for the first time in three years on opening day, so my deck mate and myself motor out of Moss Landing Harbor at 06:20 Saturday morning.
Immedietly find a huge bait ball and birds diving.  Drop in and set the depth of downrigger at 110'.  Within an hour I am hooked up with what turned out to be the biggest salmon I have ever landed to date.  No scale onboard because I have been using it in my garage to set drag tension on my reels but when I got home I weighed him at 26lbs gutted and gilled,  My guess is 31-32lbs 39.5" long.  My 13" filet knife was 5" short of reaching through.  oh and the silky smooth carbon fiber drags made him feel 10lbs lighter.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

:'( :'( :'( I haven't caught a salmon in 3 years. 

Congratulations on a great catch.  The water looked pretty calm.  Glad you were able to get out.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BonitaBch

Bonita Beach, FL

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

johndtuttle

ChileRelleno

Schweetness! Nice fish.
Fire up the smoker & the grill too.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Newell Nut

Great Catch. I fished there a few times when I worked at the Moss Landing Power Plant several years ago.

wallacewt

good stuff,id like to see your rigs also

David Hall

Thanks everyone it was a great way to start the new season.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dutchy17

Why is everything i love either illegal, immoral or carry's a health warning!

David Hall

Took one of the boys from the neighborhood out and he hooked up and landed his first salmon.
12lbs 30".  Nothing more fun than watching this kind of action.

David Hall

Don't know why my perfectly upright photos get flopped over on their side. When I upload them?

BonitaBch

Not sure why either, but that kid sure looks like he is having a blast! :)
Bonita Beach, FL