Spool pin bearing remover

Started by JoeyFortina, April 09, 2015, 04:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimbass

Hey Slazmo.

The HH tool has a larger pin on one side, that is to be used to get the spool pin moving until it is flush with the shaft. Then you need to reverse the tool pin, and use the smaller pin to push through.

I use this tool on most Daiwa and Abu baitcasters, but prefer the Boka pliers on Shimano. They are easier and quicker to use. The tool that Dawn sells looks great, and is on my list of to buy, with my next order.

Sucks when something fails. HH are great people and will help you out I'm sure.

Cheers mate.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Tiddlerbasher

Boca pliers for me - Very well made.

Slazmo

Quote from: Zimbass on April 21, 2015, 03:42:21 AM
Hey Slazmo.

The HH tool has a larger pin on one side, that is to be used to get the spool pin moving until it is flush with the shaft. Then you need to reverse the tool pin, and use the smaller pin to push through.

I use this tool on most Daiwa and Abu baitcasters, but prefer the Boka pliers on Shimano. They are easier and quicker to use. The tool that Dawn sells looks great, and is on my list of to buy, with my next order.

Cheers mate.

Terry.

Hey Terry,

Yeh read the "Engrish" instructions and also watched the HH Studios youtube vid on how to use the tool. Mind you for what its worth I was very careful with the tool due to its value and it still farped out.

Severely disappoint! Should have a stringer pin in it not made of Stainless Steel as some have mentioned... also the pin doesnt need to be anywhere near as long or thin.

Andrew

johndtuttle

Quote from: Zimbass on April 21, 2015, 03:42:21 AM
Hey Slazmo.

Cheers mate.

Terry.

^^^^ this.

The wrong end was used to start the pin?

Keta

Sounds to me like Slazmo read the instructions and did it right.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Joey, do you need a spool pin removal tool?  I may have a boca bearings one that you could have (if I can find it).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Keta on April 21, 2015, 03:24:24 PM
Sounds to me like Slazmo read the instructions and did it right.

I guess I am just shocked that the tool would bend if the pin is already flush with the spool shaft?

I was *just* about to order one of these too to have a compact tool for my Plano box kit for going LR....:(

Keta

It did seem odd and the tool was on my list too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

I am thinking my Arbor press should be able to handle any stuck or small spool shaft pins handily.  Those Boca pliers do look nice though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

A drill press may work also as long as the spool shaft is supported.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Slazmo

Someone here could make a support that cradles the shaft and has a hole through it to allow the pin to pass through. Trying to pull the pin is pointless as the pin doesnt pass enough - damaged the end (pulling end) of the OEM pin that I managed to push through when I tried to pull it out.

The pin is just not strong enough. Yes followed all instructions and the top of the pin wasnt mushroomed or anything if anyone is asking. Stainless steel isnt a good medium on this kind of tool...

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 21, 2015, 10:33:29 PM
A drill press may work also as long as the spool shaft is supported.

Goint point, the shaft would need a good cradle.  Shafys can and do get bent, and the metal is soft enough to mushroom.  In otherowrds refrain from using a hammer.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Slazmo

Hey guys,

Great response from Mr Akira from Hedgehog Studios. Sent a email and some of the pictures that I put up here and he has sent two more T Bars in good faith, if there are any issues in the future he is willing to look into it and go from there.

A+ service from Hedgehog Studios!

LTM

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 21, 2015, 03:46:22 PM
Joey, do you need a spool pin removal tool?  I may have a boca bearings one that you could have (if I can find it).
Bryan,

What do you use to remove spool pins?

Leo

Zimbass

Quote from: Slazmo on April 24, 2015, 09:16:46 AM
Hey guys,

Great response from Mr Akira from Hedgehog Studios. Sent a email and some of the pictures that I put up here and he has sent two more T Bars in good faith, if there are any issues in the future he is willing to look into it and go from there.

A+ service from Hedgehog Studios!

Good to hear Andrew. That Akira Kato is a great asset to the business. Glad they took care of you.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.