Spool pin bearing remover

Started by JoeyFortina, April 09, 2015, 04:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyFortina

What do you guys think of this?

foakes

Seems like a good product, Joey --

There are some specialty pliers made for this purpose also -- maybe Boca?, or others?

I generally just punch out my pins -- but that is in the case of a gear sleeve, or handle pivot on a spinner.

On these spool axles, when removing a pin to change out a bearing and clean things up -- the right tool will not do any damage when used properly.

I wonder how these would work on roll pins?

Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Slazmo

Had to buy one myself after using a friends for a while on and off.. Cheaper to buy from Hedgehog Studios than off say eBay.

I remember there being one made entirely from Stainless Steel and that was their HD version. This type 2 is just another reincarnation of their original pin pusher.

Definitely a tool that you must have in your reel tool box! And while your at it grab a few spare spool shaft pins just in case.

Doug

interesting little tool for sure  Doug

WalterWyman

These are what I use instead of pliers. I get a pop when the pin lets go! They make one out of stainles steel called the toughie it is silver. The blue is aluminum and some time the threads get worked with a lot if use!

Blessings,

Wally
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

Slazmo

Alrighty guys, my pin pusher came today from Hedgehog. I was all excited as I had a few other goodies with it.

Now the handle nut tool, excellent quality and beautifully made.

The Pin pusher well... ahh... err... already stuffed!

Used it for one pin on a Daiwa Zillion 100HA... The pin point is too soft and it bent pushing the pin out - I also had some oil at the base of the pin let soak so that it would push through easier... You could see the pin flex as you screwed it down, and look at the head of the pin...

Anyhow emailed Hedgehog and wanting to send them the pictures - not good for a $40 tool and on the first use... This will be something that I'll be using near every day or so also...

Keta

SS is not the best material for this, tool steel, or inconel if corrosion is a problem, would be much better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Slazmo

Quote from: Keta on April 20, 2015, 03:05:49 PM
SS is not the best material for this, tool steel, or inconel if corrosion is a problem, would be much better.

Yeh I believe that this is a wasted purchase - fingers crossed for the guarantee... Maybe the Boca bearings pin pushing pliers are better?

Anyone had any experience with those?

LTM

Alan Tani and I both have modified pliers that do this job very well. Just look up our posts. Nothing fancy, just works like a charm.

Leo

PS And as Keta says "tool steel is best" and these pliers are made of tool steel.

Slazmo

Quote from: LTM on April 20, 2015, 03:19:25 PMAlan Tani and I both have modified pliers that do this job very well.

I too made some pliers to push the pins as shown on other posts however once the pin becomes flush with the spool shaft, pushing it all the way through becomes impossible - I dont have nor will use a punch due to the fact spool shafts are so fragile on the BFS type spools I work with.

I also cant pull the pin out as that damages the pins outer - have tried that and its a 'no no'. That would mean I would have to buy pins all the time and for 3 pins thats $7US + $9US postage from Japanland.

Keta

Once the pin moves and is flush with the shaft you can use a "anvil" with a hole in it and a punch to finish the job.  Make sure the shaft is in full contact with the anvil or you will be replacing the shaft or entire spool....I know this by experience.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

I just had a flash of semi brilliance....or not.  A reloading die primer punch could probably be used to make a better pin pusher and the primer punch pins are replaceable.  I'll try to dig up the parts today and see.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

Check with Bryan maybe he has one of Reel Speed's Pin Pliers kicking around.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

I think Dawn (SmoothDrag has ReelSpeed's Bearing Pin remover tool.  I'll post a pick when I get a chance.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Quote from: Keta on April 20, 2015, 03:38:34 PM
I just had a flash of semi brilliance....or not.  A reloading die primer punch could probably be used to make a better pin pusher and the primer punch pins are replaceable.  I'll try to dig up the parts today and see.
Lee,

Please respond back with your findings. This idea has my wheels turning as well.

Leo