St Croix Mango Stick

Started by Newell Nut, April 10, 2015, 08:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Could not resist the specs on this Musky blank at only 6.2 oz. The total build came in at 15 3/4oz which is 12 lighter than the Black Steel that I normally use. Put the largest shark tooth that would fit and 5 pieces of abalone with Alps centra lock seat and shrink wrap on grips and a little cord on the fore grip. Pac Bay TICH guides spiral wrapped and Fuji SIC tip top. Looking forward to a good break in tomorrow if Mother Nature cooperates. The abalone used is made for ear rings. I did not grind away the hole area to keep me from selling it. I built this thing for me to use. Since I am an old guy I thought I needed a lighter rod.

Reel 224

Nice job, I really like those grips.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

broschro

bestout

The monsters in my head are scared......

coastal_dan

Awesome!  Looks like it could be a wicked Tautog stick up here in the North East.  Great job.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Dominick

Dwight, great job that is one beautiful rod.  What does "fast action" mean?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

In a few words less of an arch in the rod, or faster tip. Or a hot date!!
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Thanks Guys!! Fast Action means it will shut down fast and cross a snappers eye balls. ;D

Alto Mare

By now, I didn't think they would keep getting better and better, awesome rod buddy ;).
I believe you had enough practice, it is now time to move on...if you know what I mean ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Sal
I am still searching for my place in the industry. This was a practice pattern for a custom that begins Sunday. I will of course tweak it since I have not built any two alike and want to surprise one of us. Got some cool ideas for another forum buddy. ;)

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2015, 11:22:26 PM
By now, I didn't think they would keep getting better and better, awesome rod buddy ;).
I believe you had enough practice, it is now time to move on...if you know what I mean ;D.

I would agree.

Shark Hunter

Great work Dwight. Not sure what language you and Sal are talking, but I think you are building a rod for him. ;D 50 t0 100 is a pretty big Rod for what you normally show.
I'm having a Calstar IGFA 80 Blank and a Stuart short #4 Detachable Butt built for a Sharking Rod.
Life is Good!

BonitaBch

Nice job Newell Nut.  Keep us posted on how you like the blank.
Bonita Beach, FL

Mac53

Quote from: Dominick on April 10, 2015, 08:57:56 PM
Dwight, great job that is one beautiful rod.  What does "fast action" mean?  Dominick

"Action:
This describes how much of the rod deflects (bends) when you put pressure on the tip. A fast action rod will bend in only the top third or less of the blank, a medium or moderate action will bend in the top half or so and a slow action will bend starting in the lower third of the rod. Sometimes slow action rods are termed 'parabolic', meaning the bend of the rod is similar throughout the length. This description is subject to the type of rod you may be talking about at the time; a fast action fly rod or steelhead rod will bend much lower and more easily than a fast action bass rod or offshore rod.

Most bass rod actions are fast to very fast because this action generally provides better sensitivity and faster power for hooksetting. By faster power we mean the rod 'shuts off' faster, or the bend ends higher on the blank, which means you don't have to move the rod as far on the hookset to get into the stiffer part of the blank. Fast action rods are great for most applications where a short to long casting distance is involved and single hooks are the rule, such as worm and jig fishing.

Medium and medium-fast rods will usually provide a little more casting distance and still provide adequate hooksetting power. These actions are often used for applications that involve treble hooks, such as crankbaits and topwater lures or other reaction baits such as spinnerbaits. The 'bite' of a treble hook is not as deep as a big single worm hook and it is easier to tear the hook out of a strong fish, plus the slower action will not pull the lure out of the fish's mouth before it fully engulfs it. The type of lure you use will usually determine the action of the rod you should use."

Mac