Stuck freespool lever on 114h tank

Started by Capt. ahab, April 12, 2015, 10:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. ahab

I'm deep into my 4 senator upgrades, and I have run into a problem. The freespool lever stops just before reaching the freespool position. I almost have to force it back to freespool, but I'm afraid of breaking something. When the side plate is detached, it will go into freespool if I help it by pushing in the pinion gear.

I read somewhere that the stainless yoke will hang up, and that you must install it with the smoother side up. Tried it, and improvement was marginal. I can get it into freespool, but only about 75% of the time. There are still hang-ups where it just won't go all the way back.

Is it ok to use the original brass yoke with steel gears? Will I run into wear issues with the two different metals rubbing against each other?  Is the stainless pinion really necessary?

Shark Hunter

Captain,
You need to smooth the tabs of the jack where the yoke rides. I have found if I don't do this, it will hang up, just as you are describing.
Life is Good!

foakes

Hi Captain --

Daron is more than likely -- exactly right about the tabs on the jack.

Another easy check is the eccentric spring being perhaps bent in a wrong position or warped out of shape somehow.

This can be easily verified if it is a problem -- by operating the free spool lever with the sideplate off of the reel.

If it operates properly, then it is the jack tabs.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Capt. ahab

Do I hit them with a file or brush with steel wool or something like that?

Alto Mare

The yoke is stamped, make sure the side with the eased edges is facing up,  see if that helps any.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

A fine file will do -- just take it easy, until you get it just right when dry -- then plenty of good grease will do the trick.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Thomas, you got a bunch of good suggestions from the guys above, if all fails, try some steel wool on the spool shaft and clean the inner side of the pinion as well.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Capt. ahab on April 13, 2015, 01:09:28 AM
Do I hit them with a file or brush with steel wool or something like that?
I just use emery cloth. A piece of fine sandpaper.
Life is Good!

Keta

Sometimes the end of the eccentric spring 20-114 is too long and can also cause problems if it sticks out of the eccentric too far.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain