Looking for Jigmaster expert to do upgrades for me

Started by pjstevko, April 14, 2015, 10:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Fred if you're not gonna take my $$$ for your time then I'll buy you a couple beers if we ever get to fish together :)

I'll order a spool soon....

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

I just ordered a new spool from Scotts

and this new handle

foakes

Looks good, PJ --

When installing the handle, compress the star drag down as far as possible, out of the way -- then install the handle -- making sure it is snug on the sleeve end -- and the crank nut is tight -- then screw in the keeper screw for the nut.

Always store the reel with the drag backed off to loose -- this will save the spring and allow the drags to not be compressed all of the time.

I will send out a Penn wrench with your reel today.

Also, if using mono -- use about 25 yards of Dacron for a backing on the spool arbor when spooling.  This will prevent the mono from slipping.

Show us some pictures of your next trip -- and your reel after you install the spool, line, and new handle.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

Quote from: foakes on April 27, 2015, 03:56:28 PM
Looks good, PJ --

When installing the handle, compress the star drag down as far as possible, out of the way -- then install the handle -- making sure it is snug on the sleeve end -- and the crank nut is tight -- then screw in the keeper screw for the nut.

Always store the reel with the drag backed off to loose -- this will save the spring and allow the drags to not be compressed all of the time.

I will send out a Penn wrench with your reel today.

Also, if using mono -- use about 25 yards of Dacron for a backing on the spool arbor when spooling.  This will prevent the mono from slipping.

Show us some pictures of your next trip -- and your reel after you install the spool, line, and new handle.

Best,

Fred

I'm assuming that means turn the star drag as close to the reel frame as possible right?

Also I'll get your payment in the mail on Saturday, I hope that's ok....

Keta

Quote from: foakes on April 27, 2015, 03:56:28 PM

This is my preferred way to spool a reel with Spectra but I have a lot of Dacron line.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Right, PJ --

That is just a little trick I have learned over the years -- all it does, is insure the handle crank is seated as snugly as possible on the top of the sleeve -- prior to tightening the handle nut.

This way, you won't be tightening the handle nut against the star -- then when increasing the drag -- the handle becomes loose.

These brass sleeves will generally hold up just fine at 12 to 15 pounds of drag -- providing they are tightly fastened to the sleeve top.

When a handle is loose -- is when a sleeve will round off.

No rush on the postage $$$ -- sent your reel, spool, and wrench back day before yesterday -- ETA is 4/30/2015 -- tomorrow.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

pjstevko

Since I have a new spool and handle coming in the mail do you want the old spool and handle for your repair business????

foakes

No, Keep it for a back up PJ --

Always good to have a spare all spooled up in your bucket -- with the quick change out thumb screw -- you can reload in less than 30 seconds.

I have plenty -- glad to get you started -- and it is actually a very good spool.  

Over a minute of free spool...

Have plenty of handles also ...thanks, anyway...

I also included your old aluminum spool that seems to have a bent end, or something.  You might get lucky and find a way to true it up -- it is in good condition, except it binds.  About 1 time out of ten, I can get the end back in alignment.  Try it for yourself -- and you will see what I mean about the binding.  It is not bad -- but far from perfect.

Maybe one of the other experts on the forum knows a trick to straighten these spool ends?

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

pjstevko

Fred,

Thank you for helping out an unknown friend, you've been too kind!!!!

PJ