Teaser Flies from Striper Lou via Sal

Started by El Pescador, April 14, 2015, 11:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Stopped by Dominick's home last night, after the "is anybody playing baseball today" loss of the reigning World Series Champions, YOUR San Francisco Giants to Colorado.

Before I could get to the kitchen for the unending bottle of Zin, Dominick's asks me, "Heads or Tails?"

What???

"Heads or Tails is the question"

Pulled out a nickle, flipped it, "Tails" I said.

Dominick hands me a bag with a T on it and inside is this!

A Teaser Fly from Striper Lou sent by Sal.

So per Sal's instructions, I was to get one of the flies - DONE!

Striper Lou, BEAUTIFUL flies you tie up!  

My only question, is how and when do I use the fly???

And a question regarding the open loop of the hook,

Looks like the Teaser fly could come off real easily - what's the work-around????

THANK You for sharing and Sal for your generosity as well!!!

Thinking we could connect this as a fly to the hook bend of a cedar plug - What do you all think???

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

bluefish69

Put a strong Swivel in the hook ring & pinch it closed. About 2' above your Iron try a Dropper Loop or something better. Cast it out & retrieve as normal.

I have a dozen Teasers coming from Harvey - Peanut Bunker for Fluke.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

STRIPER LOU

Hey Wayne, glad you like the teasers! Open eye can be closed down on just about anything with a good pair of pliers. The guys here like to squeeze em down on the back of a plug or jig. This gives you a direct connection and no split ring is needed. If you want to use it as a dropper teaser, just close it down and attach it to a dropper loop 16 to 24" above your jig just like bluefish said. I use one for the tail hook on my plug and tie a dropper loop 30" back and hang on another and its good to go. I've caught many, many, double header bass and a few doubles over 35lbs!
Looks like you tie also. We will have to compare notes sometimes.
Good luck and enjoy,   ...   Lou

Alto Mare

Wayne, if i knew you were going to post my note, I was going to write a little neater ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

El Pescador

Say the word and I'll pull it!

Thanks Sal for your generosity!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Just joking with you Wayne ;D. Lou does a good job on those and I wanted to share them, enjoy it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

excellent, all the way around, great bunch of guys

Rancanfish

I just watched a fishing show yesterday after noon and the guy was using sinking fly line, and a similar size fly and letting it get deep, then pulling it in (what ever thats called in fly land) and whammo!  Nice ocean going salmon.

Good looking work Mr. Striper Lou.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

I got one from Lou in the mail a few weeks ago and it's now on one of my pieces of iron waiting to be used.  They are nice!!!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

theswimmer

Lou,
What kind of epoxy are you using to build the head?
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

STRIPER LOU

Any of the 5 min. epoxies will work. The locktite brand doesn't seem to yellow. be sure to use several coats of thinned head cement while your wrapping, you really want it to sink in, and then used the epoxy for the final coats.
....................Lou

theswimmer

Thanks Lou.
I have stop using head cement on my salt water flies and switched to Loctite Super Glue.
Just for the reason you state ,it seems to be thinner and sinks in more rapidly.
Super Glue seems to dry faster and be more durable for the salt as well.
Good head cement has gotten pricy here in Cali .

Best
JT

The fly shown is almost all makeshift material,
The thread is Red Sparkle from Hancock's Fabrics, 99 cts a spool,
The purple skirt is Easter basket stuffing, I have 5 colors 99cts a bag, Dollar store
The body of the fly is plastic prism ribbon, 4 colors on a roll , also 99 cts from the Dollar store,
The buck tail , sparkle hair and the hook came from the fly shop ;)
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

David Hall

Thanks for the teaser you sent me with the reel, I landed some nice rockfish with it this past weekend before losing it to a lunker, along with my iron.

STRIPER LOU

No problem Dave.  I had a bunch of them on here for sale and no bites. Last week my buddy caught a 40lb Striper on one and bought every single piece I had!!!
Will start tying again late fall.
.................lou