When your new spool of line is twisted ???

Started by New Site Yellowcat, April 17, 2015, 02:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Site Yellowcat

A buddy just brought me a spool of BBG 12lb. to spool up his spinning reels.. The line is twisted on the spool from the factory..
Got to use now and not able to replace it right now.. I've done the spool flip, and flop and every thing I know and still getting twists..
Remember someone saying once that after spooling twisted line it can be helped by re-spooling to another reel ..
WILL THIS HELP 
SORTA IN A BIND...
Any and all ideas and help ?? THANKS a HEAP

Tiddlerbasher

A spinning reel will always twist line when winding - the twist should go when it is cast

Keta

When I have this problem I spool off the line behind a boat then respool it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Yes wetting the line should help. I usually use a little spray bottle with a drop or two of dish washing liquid, then cast it a dozen times and wow-la.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

And with mono -- like Lee does, let the line completely out behind the boat -- then pull a little pressure to slightly stretch out the line.

This erases any twisting or coil memory.

Reel it back in -- and it is done.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

Quote from: New Site Yellowcat on April 17, 2015, 02:04:39 PM
A buddy just brought me a spool of BBG 12lb. to spool up his spinning reels.. The line is twisted on the spool from the factory..
Got to use now and not able to replace it right now.. I've done the spool flip, and flop and every thing I know and still getting twists..
Remember someone saying once that after spooling twisted line it can be helped by re-spooling to another reel ..
WILL THIS HELP 
SORTA IN A BIND...
Any and all ideas and help ?? THANKS a HEAP

Like that from the factory?  Wow.  I might not have full confidence in that line.  Is BBG the manufacturer?  I don't know them, but expect the manufacturer or distributor might want to hear about the defect.

--Mike

conchydong

the professionals remove the spinning reel spool from the reel and wind them just like you would do with a conventional reel. They have special adapters for that. It would be hard to imagine that Berkley Big Game came already twisted from the factory unless it was a reused spool from a tackle shop. If you just spool by winding the spinning reel, it will twist no matter what. As others have said just drag it behind the boat until the twists come out but it will eventually twist again in a matter of time as that is the nature of the beast.

mike1010

Quote from: conchydong on April 18, 2015, 09:04:10 PM
the professionals remove the spinning reel spool from the reel and wind them just like you would do with a conventional reel. They have special adapters for that. It would be hard to imagine that Berkley Big Game came already twisted from the factory unless it was a reused spool from a tackle shop. If you just spool by winding the spinning reel, it will twist no matter what. As others have said just drag it behind the boat until the twists come out but it will eventually twist again in a matter of time as that is the nature of the beast.

Ah.  BBG is Berkeley Big Game.  Thanks.  I agree about the low likelihood of such an issue from the factory, but was going by what the OP said.

It is easy enough to rig an electric drill to be a redneck line winder that takes a spinner spool.  Also, most line comes packaged with instructions for winding it directly onto a spinner.

foakes

I am fortunate enough to be able to use power line winders --

This applies to mono -- not braid...

However -- I am careful about line lay, old line from old stock, and new line from clients that may have been bought on sale somewhere -- if a shop was getting rid of stock they had on hand for years, etc.

Storage temperature has much to do with it also.  From 20 degrees to 100 degrees -- for years on end, stored in a bin or on a board.

I also always attempt to load line in the opposite direction -- from how it was loaded on the supply spool.

If done with slight pressure -- but not overly tight -- this will serve to cancel out most of the "coil memory" -- when spooled on to your spinner spool.

Just a few hints that have helped me over the years.

Good, fresh line is the most overlooked and important component for a good fishing experience.

Change out your line yearly, on the regularly used reels.

It may be the cheapest insurance available to complete your catch successfully.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.