Two piece custom 114H

Started by Alto Mare, April 18, 2015, 11:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Great final product there.  I'm sure it was worth sll of the extra effort.  They don't call it 'custom' for nothin.  

I guess you thought it better to press the right bearing in place then ream the bearing pocket.  Might need a bearing puller to remove it when/if the time ever comes?

Bridge compatability can be a problem on some of the 14/0s as well.  I think the chromed ones with the stepped lip were built to tighter tollerances, and the newer or different bridge types don't quite line up right with the pins.  Removing the pins must have been difficult.  I wonder if this resulted in moving the bridge assembly just slightly down (in gear sleeve direction) from the original design specs.  Might help to explain minor bump every 180 deg of handle movement.  Does it still do it when cranking with the drag applied and spool held stationary?

Also, did you use a spacing sleeve?  Didn't see ine in the picture of parts
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 18, 2015, 05:36:28 PM
This one gave me a tough time, I had to fine tune many parts to make it work and I still feel a little bump every half turn of the handle, it is very light, but still bothering me ;D.
The clicker needed to be reduced in thickness, the clicker spring needed to be drilled and bent, the spool didn't sit centered, so I had to take it back down and press the right side bearing in, not easy, but my press did a good job.
The pins on the right side plate were designed for the later model 114HL, I wasn't able to drill the bridge perfectly, so I pulled them off, also not easy.
The inserts where too tall, after testing I realized that the gear wall was also a little tall, so I shaved both.
The machined area for the dog and spring was a little shallower than stock plates, so Lee's dog and custom spring needed to be sanded.
This would have been easier if I already did one, it takes time when you keep getting surprises and need to take the reel back down.
With that said, this is a nice reel.

Sal

Worth every second spent on it. That reel is one to be proud of! That handle you get from Alan C. is a beaut, I have to see if he has any more.

Keep up the solid work and glad to see that one of a kind reel fell into the right hands.

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
John, nothing gets by you and that's a good thing ;D. Yes, I did use the spacer.
About the bearing, I personally would never ream the pocket, those should be pressed in. When the time comes for replacement, I have tools that can get the job done, the tools are from the same person that sent me that reel.
Removing the pins wasn't easy, but when I used nipper cutters with a little side to side movement, they came right out.
Good question on the bump, first thing I did was to increase the drag all the way and see if it was still there, at full drag its almost gone.
This is telling me the lip on the gear is still touching a little, it would probably go away as things get settled in, but I think I will open it again.
Not now though, I've seen the inner side of that reel too many times today. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

All that you need right now is a couple of big AJs for a good workout and all the bumps go away. ;D

handi2

You're a lucky man Sal..! Beautiful custom reel.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

I found the problem with the tiny bump when turning the handle. The main gear slipped out of my hand as I was sanding it down, but it hit my shoe first and then the concrete floor. I looked at it and all looked good at that time, I just placed it under a magnifying glass and noticed one of the tooth got squished a little at the very tip. The pic isn't clear but you should be able to see it

I tried filing it down gently, to reshape it, but I still feel something.
I will replace that gear...too bad.
I will now get a piece of carpet and place it at my work area.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 18, 2015, 08:16:10 PM
Not now though, I've seen the inner side of that reel too many times today. ;D

:)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Check you clock John, it is a new day here, I waited till after 12:00 AM to open it again ;D

About the gears, I know that it should work just fine as is, but I want this reel to be perfect ;)

wallacewt

goodonyah sal
your growing in stature every passing day
cheers

wallacewt

how about this,its only a thought,
so please dont take it any other way
turn the handle blank over and put the t-bar on the other side
it nearly matches the curvature of the reel
cheers

FatTuna

Very nice build. Crazy drag numbers. I'd love to see this thing in action.

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on April 19, 2015, 05:59:23 AM
how about this,its only a thought,
so please dont take it any other way
turn the handle blank over and put the t-bar on the other side
it nearly matches the curvature of the reel
cheers
Always good for a laugh Wallace ;D
Now, stand in front of a mirror and look at you right arm, you might think its really your left, but it is actually your right ;) ;D

Alto Mare

I replaced the main gear and all is good now, new gear on the right

Here is the layout of the drag washers in case you wanted to do the same:  Delrin under the gear, 6 Carbon Fiber and one more Delrin washer right under the thick keyed washer on top.
Still have room to spare, but this feels nice

here is a shot of how it looks like when the washers are in place, the second Delrin washer from the top helps with turning the star with one finger when at max

This one is done!

Sal

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...