Two piece custom 114H

Started by Alto Mare, April 18, 2015, 11:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I finally gathered all needed parts for this two piece frame. As mentioned earlier, this reel was sent to me from Reel Speed ( Aaron ), thanks again Aaron.
He found this frame in a box at his shop and thought that I would appreciate it the most...he was right ;D.
Here are the parts that I will be using

and the assembly

a Delrin washer of course

some like to cut that Delrin washer even with the ratchet, don't do it, the dog will get stuck, 1/8 wider would be the best

here is a shot of Adam's ss insert kit, Black Pearl's ss gears and Alan's ss gear sleeve

the one piece left side plate and frame, as mentioned above

+
assembly of the right side plate

this frame is machined so perfectly that the tolerance is really tight, I had to shave the insert to make it work

after lots of testing, all went in nicely

a little grease on both sides of the spool and in it goes

and here is the reel fully assembled , the handle is from Adam and the knob from Black Pearl

From previous tests with the gears and inserts, this reel will generate over 70 lbs of drag. I know that the reel could handle it, the question is: could you? ;D. Realistically though, we have come up with a nice 35Lbs reel, this reel will feel silky smooth at those numbers.
One of the members suggested calling this reel "The Huber Tank", I believe it is appropriate ;D.
This is the only two piece 114H that I know of.
Enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

TechTeach

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

VERY nicely done. Its easy to tell you enjoy your work!
..............Lou

Rothmar2

Bryan Young

I think this is the only gold one.  The rest were black.  It's the same frame assembly that I showed you years ago and you told me that you wished it had the harness lugs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 18, 2015, 11:23:07 AM
From previous tests with the gears and inserts, this reel will generate over 70 lbs of drag. I know that the reel could handle it, the question is: could you?

Lawd have mercy! At 70 lbs of drag I'd be yanked over the side and heading for the bottom at full speed...  :P

But with a reel that beautiful, at least I'd look good doing it.   ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

harryk3616

fantastic as usual sal, a  ''reel '' master, looks great were all jealous, a wonderful job, enjoy using it

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 18, 2015, 02:19:35 PM
I think this is the only gold one.  The rest were black.  It's the same frame assembly that I showed you years ago and you told me that you wished it had the harness lugs.
I don't remember seeing it, do you still have that reel?

Newell Nut

Your are really showing off your skills on that one. Nice looking TANK.

Shark Hunter

That is Uber Sick! Sal! :o
No wonder you sold your WEX!
Fine job! ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

This one gave me a tough time, I had to fine tune many parts to make it work and I still feel a little bump every half turn of the handle, it is very light, but still bothering me ;D.
The clicker needed to be reduced in thickness, the clicker spring needed to be drilled and bent, the spool didn't sit centered, so I had to take it back down and press the right side bearing in, not easy, but my press did a good job.
The pins on the right side plate were designed for the later model 114HL, I wasn't able to drill the bridge perfectly, so I pulled them off, also not easy.
The inserts where too tall, after testing I realized that the gear wall was also a little tall, so I shaved both.
The machined area for the dog and spring was a little shallower than stock plates, so Lee's dog and custom spring needed to be sanded.
This would have been easier if I already did one, it takes time when you keep getting surprises and need to take the reel back down.
With that said, this is a nice reel.

Sal