259 live bait caster project

Started by speedwagon2, April 18, 2015, 10:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedwagon2

Finally started my 259 Live Bait Caster build.  I have acquired a aluminum P-322 base, Newell 501 aluminum spool, and Black Pearl's 501 size SS  frame's(polished). I fit up the pieces to make sure things fit the way they are supposed to. So far, so good. The reel came with SS gears.  The ratio is a little over 3 to 1. My understanding is that Jig Master parts should cross over in this reel.  Where can I get a SS fine tooth bridge sleeve?
  Speedwagon2

otghoyt

That would be Alan Tani.  Scroll down to Reels, Parts and Tools by Alan Tani.  Give him a personal message and he will get back to you.  You should find a response in your e-mail.

The drag system in that reel is small.  Squidder size in fact.  Unless you need to replace a worn bronze gear sleeve, and Alan will tell you, you may be better off spending a similar amount to purchase a 5+1 drag stack from Bryon at Ultimate Upgrades by Bryon young.  Yes, without a doubt, the 5 plate system can and will give you a higher poundage of drag but they also break free almost seamlessly.  And therein lies the beauty of a 5 plate system in a little conventional reel.  Fewer break offs on the smaller 1/0 reel.

I really like Squidders and I have several fairly well maxed out for my sons and I.  My favorite 20# go-to set up, jigs and bait, plus I have a quick change spool with 30# for those bigger fish don-cha-no.  Squidders use the same gears, drags and gear sleeve as the 259 but they have real bearings not bushings.

Have fun,

Hoyt

Oh yeah....If I am not mistaken the 259s do not come with a stainless reinforcing ring on the pinion.  That would be a must do item.  Aaaand a Jigmaster crank handle will fit on it as well.