Need Help - Tiagra 30W LRSA

Started by demerol, April 19, 2015, 09:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demerol

Hi everyone. So, I fixed one problem but seem to have created a second. I posted earlier about the rachet plate screws needing tightening to prevent clunking/etc. That's fixed. Now I have a new problem and I can't seem to figure it out.

Here's the issue: When in freespool, everything works fine. Line is let out smoothly and the handle doesn't engage. However, when you set the drag, the handle will turn counter-clockwise with the spool if you pull on the line. Rotating the handle clockwise works as always. Normally, the handle will NOT turn counterclockwise (i.e. - if a fish bites, the spool goes out but the handle doesn't move.)

There must be something I messed up in fixing the first problem to allow the handle to stay engaged with the spool gears. I've taken it apart and can identify no issues. I checked the search function on this site, but did not find this issue reported before. Anyone have this issue or a suggested fix?

Tightlines667

Your dogs (located on the left side plate are not engaging properly.  I just fixed this problem on an 80 earlier in the week.  Pull the tailplate.  Put the rachet in place on the tailplate and turn it to check function.  Make sure both dog springs are installed properly.  If the dogs get hung up in their assemblies (when you push them in), remove the four dog assembly screws, and polish up and debur the dogs, and the areas above and below them where they rub.  Reinstall and use some corrosion X on them.  A little thin grease is ok here too, but don't over grease.

Here is a pic of the ratchet the 2 dog antireverse assemblies on a 50WLRS, that hasn't been serviced in a veey long time.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

demerol

Thank You Tightlines!  The picture certainly helps. I should have time this weekend to take it apart again and correct this. I'll let you know if I can get it working. Thank you again.

demerol

So this is embarrassing... The problem was indeed the ratchet. When replacing the ratchet gear, I had flipped it around. The dogs are brand new and were fine. Flipped the ratchet gear around, placed the washer and ball bearing and now everything is great! Thank you for your help Tightlines

alantani

you're not the only one that has done that.....  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!