04/18 Gulf State Pier

Started by ChileRelleno, April 20, 2015, 03:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

I'm just going to copy/paste the pier fishing report I wrote for their forum.

QuoteHit J&M Tackle at 0445/am, restocked a few items in the tackle box, bought some live shrimps and exchanged pleasantries with the owner who is a fishing acquaintance of mine.

My son and I got to the pier around 0530am and past the T not much was happening except Gafftop Sail Cats.
Though I did see a few Pomps and a good sized Flounder on the way out there.
My son's taste for fried Sail Cat had him mooching them off everybody who hooked one, whats a Dad to do but humor him.
Actually they aren't bad when filleted & the blood line taken out, then deep fried in seasoned flour.
I even managed to put a 4.5# kitty in our cooler too.

Spanish turned on around 0830am but were sporadic, then a little later they really got going as schools would cruise the pier causing much excitement, both good & bad, wherever they were.
Short strikes, cut offs, popping off at pier side and of course... The $@*!% sharks.
George wasn't telling tall tales, no really he wasn't, they were working in well coordinated wolf packs. They were extremely well fed today to the dismay of many, myself included.
I managed to deck one nice Spaniard, thats it, the other dozen or more hookups were mostly sharked and the rest cut offs & pop offs.
The number of $@*!% sharks was just crazy, if this keeps up... Something has to give.
That said I saw several people that managed limits of Spanish after a dutiful day of doggedly staying after them.

Lots of LYs available for bait.
A lucky few got Kings to eat, and way too many more got the $@*!% sharks to eat.
I think I know of 3-4 Kings to hit the deck today and several more devoured by the ravenous $@*!% sharks.
The $@*!% sharks were active from the shore break to the Octi, no avoiding them.

Saw a few more Pomps, but couldn't get any for myself.
Saw a several people from the T to the Skinny killing Flounder. A lot of those Flounder had to go back, but there were a few pushing 17-18".
Some people were absolutely putting an ol'fashioned whupping on them.
Even my son managed to catch one, it being his first, he was ecstatic.

Saw a few Reds caught, some in the skinny and a big Bull at the Octi.
Put one of these in our cooler too.

Periods of light rain passed through a few times and the South wind went from calm to howling to light, back to howling and finally just a stiff gusty breeze when I left.
The sun even tried to peek out a few times, but was quickly ushered back behind a mantle of dampness.
Skinny water wasn't too bad, a little dingy, but could see the bottom and fish just fine.
The rest was just as dingy or a little worse for wear.

Hit Bass Pro on the way home for a few odds-n-ends, found another fishing acquaintance of mine hard at work, said "Hi".
Spent some time chatting him up about the fishing on the pier and asked his advice on a new budget Gotcha slinger for Spanish.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

harryk3616

great story chille , brought back good memories when i grew up in florida and we used to fish the piers, always great fun. we used to buy shrimp like you said or pilchards or used artificials.  why they never built piers in new york i don't know, i wish they would have. nice fish, and a real nice smile on your son, great

Shark Hunter

Nathaniel is looking a little bigger since the last time I saw him. Good Job Buddy! ;D
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Yep, as you well know, they grow up all too quickly.
He has even developed an eye for girls on the pier, where before he tried to ignore them.

So you'll be down first week of May.
G'luck, holler if ya want any help on Sat the 8th.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Will do John. I will have my Son Dustin with me. He is Autistic and a handful to say the least.
The whole trip pretty much revolves around him. Hopefully he will do well.
Life is Good!