Narrow spool 150

Started by Wayne B., April 20, 2015, 03:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne B.

Penn apparently made a narrow spool version of the Surfmaster 150. Anyone know what the part number is for the spool on that reel?

Thanks

Keta

29L-100 is the preferred one, the reel is a Surfmaster 100.  They are nice and my preferred reel for bottom fish in water shallower than 20 fathoms.  I plan on using a Monofil 25 with a 29L-100 spool (Monofil 27) this year.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Wayne B.

Maybe a dumb question (I'm known for them), but what is the diference between a narrow spool 150 and a 100?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

The posts, stand and spool are the only parts that are not the same.  The 100 uses Supper Mariner 49 stand (30-49) and posts (37-49).

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Wayne B.

Keta I just read your first reply. Are you saying the narrow spool 150 is the 100?

Shark Hunter

Click on my Link I posted above Wayne. There are 4 Surfmaster models. The 100 being the narrowest.
Life is Good!

Wayne B.

I was told that Penn made a model "150 narrow version". I have all four surfmasters. I was made to believe that there was another model "150 narrow version" which didn't make much sense to me since I was holding a 150 and 100 in my hands. Good that I don't have to look for another model for my collection!

Thanks for the input!

Keta

Quote from: Wayne B. on April 20, 2015, 03:59:16 PM
Keta I just read your first reply. Are you saying the narrow spool 150 is the 100?

Yes.

Mark Twain

foakes

Hi Wayne --

Lee is of course, right...

100 -- 150 -- 200 -- 250

These were and are very good reels.  They came out as an alternative to the higher priced Squidder -- which was very expensive in the day.  Penn didn't really lower the quality from the Squidders to the Surfmasters -- just left off a couple of features -- then sold it for half price.  It was more a matter of numbers and price resistance -- than a drop in quality.

Great surf reels -- some of my favorites.

According to Mike's book -- there we're two other rare Surfmasters -- while they had the quick take apart feature -- they also had no anti-reverse, and no drag.  So they never were popular -- hence their rarity.

These were the 151 and 201 -- might be what you heard about one time.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wayne B.

Fred:

I have all four Surfmasters MIB with extra spools. I just received my copy of Mike C's awesome book and feel pretty secure with my group. It's a bit embarrassing when a screwy ebay listing generates questions like mine.

Thanks for all your responses.

Wayne

Keta

Feel fortunate that this was your current "D'oh moment".     I have a Surfmaster 250N I made with parts in my collection.

Mark Twain

George4741

On a related subject, or, maybe not ::) I have a narrow spool marked "29-155", otherwise identical to a 29-180.  If I install it in my Beachmaster 155, is it a narrow 155 or a Baymaster 180?  I wonder....

These kinds of things can drive you crazy. ;D  
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Then there's the similar Monofil 27.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I noticed Scott's upped the price a little on those 29L-100 spools. Now you can only order two at a time.
I have quite a few 155's I'm going to Narrow. I think they are Beachmaster 100's now George. ;)
Life is Good!