need help with 270

Started by pault, December 08, 2010, 12:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pault

I've been watching this site for quite some time now, and got lots of useful info. Now I ran into a problem that I could not find anywhere....

On my 270 reel; if the lever is engaged and thumb on spool while cranking the handle foward and backward, there is some play. Could this be the anti-reverse bearings gone bad? if so, how do I remove it. I took the two plastic end cap/rings off and could not get the bearings out. Is there a special tool/method in taking these out.

So i tightened the handle arm bolt 1/8 of a turn and the handle play minimumized, but now, when I turn the handle (with preset to zero and lever engaged) I feel like I'm reeling in a 20lbs fish. Where is all this load come from? I checked the spool bearings and they all seems fine.

Comedie

Quote from: pault on December 08, 2010, 12:49:48 PM
I've been watching this site for quite some time now, and got lots of useful info. Now I ran into a problem that I could not find anywhere....

On my 270 reel; if the lever is engaged and thumb on spool while cranking the handle foward and backward, there is some play. Could this be the anti-reverse bearings gone bad? if so, how do I remove it. I took the two plastic end cap/rings off and could not get the bearings out. Is there a special tool/method in taking these out.

So i tightened the handle arm bolt 1/8 of a turn and the handle play minimumized, but now, when I turn the handle (with preset to zero and lever engaged) I feel like I'm reeling in a 20lbs fish. Where is all this load come from? I checked the spool bearings and they all seems fine.
Well I'll take a slight stab at this. Alan can correct me :)
I'm guessing from your description that the play is in the gear mesh. I had some end play on a couple of my Accurates that I eliminated most of by putting in some custom punched shims, but I think you are not describing that sort of play?
As another guess, by over tightening the handle, I'm wondering if you are fighting the friction between the case and the backside of the gear now (and a plastic spacer in there if I remember right). 
I think the AR bearings are a press in fit that Accurate services. I suspect I could get them out by chilling the unit and then warming the plate to expand it, but sounds a lot more sure to just send to Accurate if they are needed

alantani

oh, you're gonna love this.  i've found two drive shafts in these reels.  one has a square post for the handle that is 0.210 inches square, the other has a post that is 0.220 inches square.  the hole for the handle is 0.220 inches square and it's made of aluminum.  i actually have a stainless steel handle arm that has is 0.210 inches square.  that takes care of most of the slop.  the rest is gear lash.  check your handle arm.  the soft aluminum is the first thing to go. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!