What's your all time favorite reel ?

Started by Phinaddict, December 09, 2010, 06:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Reviving an old thread since we've all bought new gear since the last reply....

My new favorite reel is my Mak 10 Sea

Bill B

It has to be the Baja Special, followed by the Fathoms.  All with Alan's handles.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

progear classic series 501.  in gold!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Didn't see that coming! But I have one from Ted, and it's real winner for sure!

Quote from: alantani on April 11, 2023, 05:37:10 AMprogear classic series 501.  in gold!!!
[

nelz

Quote from: alantani on April 11, 2023, 05:37:10 AMprogear classic series 501.  in gold!!!

Not sure what that is, is it like a 545? Got a pic?

ourford

Great Reel.
Vic

alantani

at one point, i had six.  they slowly disappeared. 

Rancanfish

I have some Alan if you really want a replacement.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

I have a blue and a gold. I think I have one other, but that just points out clearly that I have too many if I can't remember them all.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

quabbin boy 62

well, i had a shakespeare 2711 spinning reel, my first spinner, couldn't find a spool for it after it went bouncing down the road off the back of my bike at ludicrous speed, i bought a penn 710z in '75, i still fish for bass and pike with it. as solid as they come, only thing it's ever needed besides cleaning/lube is a bail spring.

Sonnett

I have always enjoyed using vintage baitcasting reels. The last "new" reel I purchased was an Ambassadeur 5000 in 1964. It was quickly relegated to a trolling reel. I like the feel of a fish running under my thumb not a star drag. I have moved over the years through Marhoffs, Pflueger Nobbys, Langleys, and a Coxe 30C. I can truthfully say that all my bass fishing now is done with a Coxe 25N (the 1941-1949 German silver model) And it is hard to imagine replacing these excellent reels with another vintage reel capable of casting 3/8 oz with little or no effort. Several experienced casters have switched to these reels since trying out one as my guest. It is hard to pass one up as they seldom come up for sale.    Coxe 25N's & 12 Oct Julia 014.jpg

Ron Jones

I have 2 of those! They have caught a lot of yellowtail, yellow fin, albacore this year, bottom fish (shallow.) Yeh, they're perfect, I'm going to get a silver salmon with one this year.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"