Latest addition

Started by Jerseymic, April 21, 2015, 06:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseymic

Hi Guys,

Picked up this little 160 recently in pretty good condition. Am I correct in assuming it is pre 1950 as it has no part numbers, also does it look all correct.

As it arrived.

Stripped and ready for a degrease.

Cleaned and polished.

And back together with a final polish of Nevr-Dull

foakes

Nice reel, JM --

Mike will be along soon -- to be sure...

However, to me, it all appears correct -- stipled sideplates, old football grip, proper crank counter weight, mottled spool, no numbers, old squared off stand feet.

My guess would put it in the 40s -- probably not the earliest at the end of the 30s.  Mike will get us closer to an exact date, since he knows the little things to look for.  Such as the clicker design, logo labeling style, etc.

These little Beachmasters are tough and historical little reels.

Very nice example -- and a professional restoration job.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Well said Fred, yes very nice example -- and a professional restoration job.
The reel looks brand new, Mike ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jerseymic

Fred, Daron and Sal, thank you for your kind words, I get a lot of pleasure out of the cleaning and polishing, especially now I have a buffing machine to help my crippled fingers!

I was amazed to find such an old little beauty turn up here in the U.K.

Mike.

Tightlines667

Beautiful reel!  A nice piece for a collection.  Appears prewar to me.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Jerseymic

Thank you Tightlines666, I still have a lot to learn, especially with dating reels.

Even with the superb book from Mike I still get confused, must be my old brain!!

Mike.

Tightlines667

I just started collecting a few prewar penns myself, and I have ran into a bit of trouble too using Mike's book, existing catelogs, and online photos of old reels as my primary sources.  Mike, Ted, and Ray (and others) know more about these old reels then can be found in the previous sources.  The trouble and confusion lead to increased knowledge, and to me the learnimg part is half the fun.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Marcq

Wayne B.

Mike:

Beautiful restoration! Would you post a picture of your buffing equipment and what compounds you use? As hard as I try, I can't get the finish you created on this reel.

Wayne

Keta

Another nice reel Mike.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Jerseymic

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

Wayne, this is the machine I use, not a particularly professional thing, but it does the job, I made the box to sit it in to stop all the mess from the mops covering the wall!!

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/Bench_Grinders_.html (top of the page)

I have many mops and compounds that I use, depending on what I am polishing and the condition of the article.

Having said that, the two I use most of all are, on the left of the machine a 6" x 1/2" WDR quality loose unstitched mop

with Menzerna M5 Super Finishing Compound for final polishing of plastics, chrome and stainless.

On the right of the machine a 6" x 1" WDR quality loose unstitched mop

With Menzerna P175 Yellow Super Finish compound which I use prior to the M5 for plastics, chrome and stainless.

All the mops and compounds can be found on the above polishing shop link.

I also never mix compounds and mops.

Other mops and compounds I use occasionally:

523LBZ grey compound: 1st stage polishing for use on Stainless, Iron, Steel, Titanium and hard Brass.
Mop: Sisal.

Ulto 12 Stainless compound: 2nd stage polishing for use on Stainless, Iron, Steel, Titanium.
Mop: White close stitched.

P126 Pink compound: 3rd stage polishing for use on Stainless, Aluminium. Brass, Copper, Zinc, Titanium. Steel, Iron, bronze.
Mop: G

113GZP Tripoli compound: 1st stage polishing for use on plastics.
Mop B grade loose

Glosswax 16 Beige: High gloss 2nd stage polishing for use on plastics.
Mop G

I also use a Dremel with polishing mops and the above compounds for tight corners.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

Islandgypsy

Dunno, Mike, looks pretty professional to me. You do beautiful work.

coastal_dan

Nice job on a beautiful little reel.  Thanks for sharing.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...