What's your favorite Inshore / Flounder Fishing Rod(s) and /or Reel(s) ???

Started by ez2cdave, April 21, 2015, 11:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

OK, guys,

What's your favorite Inshore / Flounder Fishing Rod(s) and /or Reel(s) ???

I'm talking about gear that would be used from shore, jetty, bridge, pier, etc . . . NOT gear used from a boat . The target species would be Flounder, Puppy Drum, Jacks, etc.

Here is my favorite setup . . . I have two of these .

Eagle Claw Crosswing Endurawrap Series IM6 CRW107 7'6" Heavy 12-30lb. ΒΌ-2 oz. Flipping Stick.

Penn 525GS (not 525 Mag) spooled with 12-15lb Mono . . . Since I normally fish bait or slowly drag jigs with them, I have swapped the original 6.1:1 gears Penn 515-525SP 4.25:1 gears to increase cranking power and to slow the retrieve.

I have modded the rod by adding 2oz. of lead to the butt, for the balance point I prefer, and added Fuji rubber butt caps.

Here are a few pics . . . (Attached)

ez2cdave

Rod Specs . . .

harryk3616

i have a custom graphite rod a friend from a bait and tackle store made for me, light enough for flounder or fluke, and enough back bone for plugging blues,  but the cream of the crop is my spinner, a zebco cardinal 4  love that reel, in my opinion the best spinner

steelfish

my two favorites light combos but strong

inshore tank

calcutta 400TE (trini16 handle)/ gander mnt. pro-select series 7.6" Musky rod  20-40 2-6oz, IM8 graphite super light and unstoppable

light inshore and shore fishing

abu garcia 6500c3 / Quantum bluerunner inshore 7" 15-25  1-2oz  IM7 graphite.

The Baja Guy

ez2cdave

Quote from: steelfish on April 22, 2015, 12:39:33 AMcalcutta 400TE (trini16 handle)/ gander mnt. pro-select series 7.6" Musky rod  20-40 2-6oz, IM8 graphite super light and unstoppable

The idea of a Musky rod sounds interesting, especially if I were throwing more weight, at some point.

steelfish

well actually it was a mistake to put it here, I only use that rod from a boat, never in the shore cuz its too stiff to cast anything, but that pays a lot with you have a nice fish on a 6oz jig

my go-to rod to cast bait or lures from the beach or rocks is a fenwick HMX spiral guides 9ft,  1-3oz, 15-30, with 1ft extention on the butt to cast better, paired with the abu garcia 6500c3.

beautiful rod, really sensitive with nice backbone

The Baja Guy

I guess the answer has to depend where you are. Here flounder are small and never fished with much more than a 1/4oz. jighead tipped with a mummichog. Nothing a need light flats spinning combo can't handle.

SacFly

Last summer I picked up a 7' mojo surf rated to 2 oz.  I use it with a spheros 4000 for ocean beach fluking (summer flounder).  I'm generally tossing 3/4oz if it's calm up to 2oz if it windy.  Within this range I really like the rod.  You can lay into 2oz without fear, but it doesn't feel like a broomstick with 3/4oz.

And it's no problem to throw small poppers or medium sized tins if bluefish show up.  For a 7 footer it's got some real huevos.  For 1/2oz and under I use a different rod.

ez2cdave

Great info, guys !

Keep the posts & pics coming . . .

Tight Lines !