Abu Cardinal 753 ultra light

Started by Reel 224, April 22, 2015, 02:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I started to work on my wife's Ultra light Cardinal 753 spinning reel and found that I could not release the spool with the button in the center of the spool. I tried a few things WD-40 and 301, I let it set for a few hours hopping it would free it up...no deal. I don't want to force it. Any suggestions on how to get this spool release to work.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Hi 224 --

There is a plastic ring around the push button spool release --

Push down hard on this ring, gripping with your fingers as best you can -- rotate counter clockwise about 1/4 turn -- ring releases, then the button, spring, and parallel shaft keeper wires are visible.

Generally, just gently pry these wires slightly open -- and the shaft will come loose.

Occasionally, the shaft is rusted to the interior metal washer -- but everything can be cleaned up easily enough.

If by chance, you ruin the spool by accident -- (these things are not very intuitive) -- I will send you another of these spools -- N/C.

Because these spools do not seem to be serviceable (the factory only sold these spools as a unit -- and never offered any service techniques for the spool assembly) -- even many repair shops just put a drop or two of oil on the shaft -- and the spool is really never serviced properly.  Most shops just do not know they come apart.

When I service these -- I put a bit of grease on the plastic ring ears that go into the two spool arbor grooves -- and also a bit of grease on the wire keepers that hold tight to the spool shaft.  Makes for an easier service next time.

Very good little reels.

Hopefully, this is the spool you have?

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Mr Fred: That reel was as cruddy as any I have ever seen and if my Camera wasn't on the fritz I would have given you a pictorial blow by blow of what had to be cleaned and oiled and greased. I had a heck of a time getting that spool release to turn by hand, finally I had to resort to the soft grip pliers to turn that little "B" Long story short I saved the spring, spool and all other parts, the shaft was rusted very bad and I cleaned it up best I could used the Yamalube as needed and 321. Everything is working 100%. Thank you again. I have picked up more information here in my short time here, then I had as a gun smith in twice that time. If there is anyone out there that fishes and maintains there own equipment, they should be learning and picking brains here.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Fred: One more question on that reel. The drag setting that is at the rear of the body seams to have little to no adjustment. What I'm saying is that either it's full or nothing in between. I know it wasn't like that when factory new, but now that is what I have. I was a little hesitant to pry into it as I'm concerned about parts and it looks pretty delicate. I did apply some Cals to what looks like drag washers, but I'm not sure of that either. Could use your expertise here.

Joe 

P.S. Fred  please drop the Sir, I still work for a living and was a non com in the military.LOL

foakes

Hey Joe --

From my experience, the only folks you can generally count on always to accomplish a task in the military -- are Master Sergeants, or Chief Petty Officers -- and then there are the SeaBees, you can always rely on them.  

Common sense and experience -- good combo.

To me, Sir is a sign of respect for someone who can accomplish a task capably -- without drama or bragging.

Just get the job done, and move to the next.  

And that is just the way I was raised -- Sir and Ma'am.

On those rear drags -- personally, I do not like them (too overly complicated, and prone to collecting debris, and generally poorly effective at best).  That particular drag stack has 17 or 18 parts in it -- IMO, that is about 10 more than necessary.

Generally, anglers just pour oil, grease, or WD40 into the rear stack -- and they come into the shop wet, sloppy, sand attracting, and worn out.

And, they are very tough to disassemble and get back in the proper order without a schematic.  So download a schematic -- then take the rear stack drags, rings, bushings and springs apart -- pay attention to what goes where -- since even on the schematics, a lot of the parts look alike.

Clean up all of the parts -- let them dry, then if the drag discs are still serviceable -- lightly grease and reinstall.

Hopefully, yours will be easy -- but be prepared.

On a side note -- possibly the best rear drag ultra light reel ever -- would be an old Zebco Cardinal 3.

Simple, solid, bulletproof.

As a suggestion, pick one up when you get a chance -- they are generally grey and green, Made in Sweden, and when you take it apart-- you will see what I am talking about.

Best,

Fred

BTW --

You will never get major drag numbers from these -- and you cannot expect that -- just want a little more smooth adjustment.

If you need new drags, just order if available -- or better yet, try Dawn at Smooth Drag -- or modify your own.

If the drags you install are too thick -- the stack will have less or no adjustment.

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

Fred: Thanks for the schematic, I may give that a try but with hesitance. I wasn't able to get the frame #38 removed from the shaft after cleaning the rust and removing the pin and nut that holds it, it was froze solid and I figured what the heck the rest of the reel is working fine so leave it alone. I moved on to the drag system and basically said, well, she only uses it for snappers so there is no need for lots of drag tension. Still when I get confident enough to dive in, ill see what I can do. As far as making my own drag washers, I really don't have the punches or other equipment needed for that. Just never had the call for it doing Guns.

Ill keep an eye out for a Zebco Cardinal 3. Do they still sell them? Or have they been discontinued.

foakes

The Zebco Cardinal 3 can be purchased used -- but they are not too cheap -- very much in demand -- and for good reason -- they will last and perform possibly better than any other reel, with a minimum of issues.

Just keep your eyes open -- you will not be sorry of you decide to get one.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

harryk3616

ditto  fred,  love those zebco cardinals 3,4,6 and 7.   pretty sure the 6 and 7 body's are the same, the difference is the size of the spool and rotor housing. for some reason  the cardinal 4 spools are so darn expensive, your'e right , great reel

Reel 224

Yes I see on E-Bay they are in the range of $50+ and I refuse to shop on E-Bay. The new Garcia Cardinal's are less money, but are they as good, I have always liked the Aub Garcia Casting reels. What's you feelings on the new Spinning class reels such as the STX, S, and SX

foakes

Don't know much about the newer ones, Joe -- they are probably like most of the modern reels.

However, the Cardinal 3 -- is in a class by itself -- the whole series from that era --  3, 4, 6, 7 -- are extraordinary reels. 

If you buy a 3, and don't like it -- I would pay you what you paid for it.

If I asked you a question about which firearm in a certain class is best -- you would have a strong opinion based on years of experience and knowledge -- and you could write a book about your opinion.  And you would be right.  And there are some things you just know...

Just check out the drag mechanism and interior materials and design of these reels.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on April 23, 2015, 07:51:52 PM
Don't know much about the newer ones, Joe -- they are probably like most of the modern reels.

However, the Cardinal 3 -- is in a class by itself -- the whole series from that era --  3, 4, 6, 7 -- are extraordinary reels. 

If I asked you a question about which firearm in a certain class is best -- you would have a strong opinion based on years of experience and knowledge -- and you could write a book about your opinion.  And you would be right.  And there are some things you just know...

Just check out the drag mechanism and interior materials and design of these reels.

Best,

Fred

Yes Fred you make a good point about personal opinion and knowledge for sure, finding something like you have pictured for an affordable price is the question because it will be fished and not a wall hanger. I personally don't like E-Bay so Ill have to look elsewhere. I do respect your opinion.

Flounder Boy 3

Best,

Fred

Fred,

Am I hallucinating (quite possible) or are the colors reversed in that last photo?

I thought the green was on the back and the cream on the front on the Zebco Cardinal 3s, as is the case in your first two photos.

Did Abu have color variations on this model?

FB3

reelrepair123

yes, they even had a tan and bronze color,  fantastic reels, zebco cardinal 3,4,6and7.     harryk

Reel 224

Quote from: Flounder Boy 3 on June 13, 2015, 06:13:34 PM

Best,

Fred

Fred,

Am I hallucinating (quite possible) or are the colors reversed in that last photo?

I thought the green was on the back and the cream on the front on the Zebco Cardinal 3s, as is the case in your first two photos.

Did Abu have color variations on this model?

FB3

Yes two different reels, the last one is different because it's another reel.  Anyone that may be selling one, I would be interested in buying.