Jackpot on the 2015 SOA Trip?

Started by sundaytrucka, April 23, 2015, 05:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Just wondering if there would be a jackpot of some shape or form on this trip? Was there a jackpot on last year's trip?

If so, how will it work out, I do not remember seeing anything about it in last year's threads? I am not an advocate of jackpots, probably because I have not won one, just inquiring.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Porthos

There wasn't.

This time, we could tag fish that we think are contenders for the biggest one, and have the weigh in at the landing--someone can then have the bragging rights. No $$$ needed.

I've won jackpots before, but 1/2 to all of each one went to the crew depending on the level of service on the trip.

Wally15

Quote from: sundaytrucka on April 23, 2015, 05:45:55 AM
Just wondering if there would be a jackpot of some shape or form on this trip? Was there a jackpot on last year's trip?

If so, how will it work out, I do not remember seeing anything about it in last year's threads? I am not an advocate of jackpots, probably because I have not won one, just inquiring.

-Scott

Don't know about a jackpot, but there is a thread on a vintage Penn "challenge" for this trip that was active 4 or 5 months ago. I don't think any "formal" rules were ever agreed upon. If we have the challenge, and keep it to a max of 30# mono or Dacron (or have line classes), I might bring the AT Special Penn 99 I won in the photo contest. If I can borrow a rod from someone to put it on, that is. Not flying any rods cross country.
Only 52 and a wakeup to go.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

DCH

In the spirit of the guidelines for this trip and last year's success, all fish went into 'the box' to share equally although everyone had the option to tag a fish if they desired. The no competition factors seemed to enhance the experience for everyone involved. It was my maiden voyage on a long range trip and I caught more fish than what was divided for each individual at the end of our trip which was rewarding in itself. Just wanted to add what a great experience it was to share equally with everyone aboard.   :)

alantani

we may have a short contest or two during our "goof off" days on tuesday and friday.  figure an hour or so.  i've got a couple of reels that i want to give a way.  one of them is actually a narrow spool 114h that i was supposed to "frankenstein" together last year but never did. 

the majority of our fishing will be at cedros on wednesday and thursday.  during those two days, the yellowtail we catch go into the slammer with no tags and shared evenly, so no jackpot.  for tuesday and friday, we will be fishing somewhere along the baja coast and it will be "potluck" fishing.  during those two days, if you catch a nice grouper, white sea bass, halibut or ling cod, or even a yellow tail, feel free to throw a tag on it and take it home with you.  it's not big deal.  we will likely also have some potluck fishing at cedros during the afternoons when the yellowtail bite slows down. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sundaytrucka

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.