one that didn't get away!

Started by vilters, April 24, 2015, 01:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilters

finally got out on the ocean this year, felt great! slow pick on yellows searching the islands, a few here & there. hooked this one, but mr. seal thought he wanted it more. I had to get my jig back, as it had been getting bit really well that day, so I kept pressure on him, he would let go, and I'd get a few cranks before he grabbed it again, eventually I got him up under the bow, and my son sticks the fish with the gaff and takes it away from the seal! a win for our side. just chewed up the tail, no damage to the meat  8). was a lot of fun fishing my newels and penns that i recently serviced, upgraded,  and put back to use on rods I built. thanks to this great site and it's members for service tips and parts for my reels. they have never worked so well.  

wallacewt

BonitaBch

Bonita Beach, FL

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

nice fish!  guys, this is a good example of what we'll be targeting in june!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Great Job! Glad you got the fish and the seal didn't! ;D
Life is Good!

txangler81

TomT

Had a similar fight with a seal trying to steal a salmon.  He was a big seal and took unbelievable runs, then let go.  we would try to get the line in, but before we could make it to the boat, Mr seal would grab a hold again.  This repeated itself about 4 times.   >:( :o  It was fun, but in our case we were fighting a losing battle and the seal swam away with OUR salmon!!  Congratulations on winning both of your fights.  I'm sure your drags had a real test with the seal.
TomT

Alto Mare

Quote from: vilters on April 24, 2015, 01:16:57 AM
finally got out on the ocean this year, felt great!  was a lot of fun fishing my newels and penns that i recently serviced, upgraded,  and put back to use on rods I built. thanks to this great site and it's members for service tips and parts for my reels. they have never worked so well.  
Nice fish Vilters! Was it just drag upgrade on those?
I'm glad you got it to the boat.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

way to go, nice fish, i'm glad you won and not the seal

vilters

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 24, 2015, 10:02:44 AM
Quote from: vilters on April 24, 2015, 01:16:57 AM
finally got out on the ocean this year, felt great!  was a lot of fun fishing my newels and penns that i recently serviced, upgraded,  and put back to use on rods I built. thanks to this great site and it's members for service tips and parts for my reels. they have never worked so well.  
Nice fish Vilters! Was it just drag upgrade on those?
I'm glad you got it to the boat.

Sal

the penn 500 had a full accurate kit and 5:1 gears when I got it. I narrowed it with 99 size newell spool and accurate frame, installed Alan's double dog bridge - yoke - eccentric kit, Alan's stainless sleeve and bryan's drag kit. the p332 had a stainless sleeve and got bryan's drag kit. the 332 just got a 3 stack carbontex drag kit, and will get the stainless star from adam, which showed up this weekend while I was out of town. all got a delrin washer under gear, and are now powerful machines! next I need to break down my 113h, it was having difficulty disengaging into freespool, and will be getting a stainless sleeve upgrade, and maybe double dogs.

Marcq

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

What happened to it's tail?

Btw, nice fish.

vilters

fishing on the mission belle out of point loma sportfishing s.d. , OUTSTANDING boat and crew. tail was chewed by the seal, luckily that was where he grabbed and pulled on the fish!