2 Reels That Stand The Best Chance of Being Handed Down To The Next Generation

Started by Rivverrat, April 25, 2015, 02:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Well actually 3 reels I wanting one to be a left handed conventional. I was asked by a favored member here whom I emailed this question to post it here. So here is this rest of my criteria.

I am looking for 2-3 reels that will become my go to every day use reels for catfish. I say every day because I fish most every day from early spring through fall into early winter. They do not have to be lever drag though I am growing pretty fond of them. I was hoping for something that weighs around 20 oz. or less, with 20 lbs. of drag with absolutely no side load if a lever drag.

I'm hoping for reels that will last long enough that they might be handed down to my son Luke. The left handed reel will most likely have to be a lever drag unless some one knows of a decent star. I am willing to hot rod a reel or reels regarding frame & drag etc. I do not need a lot of line capacity. As long as I have room for 250 yards of 60 lb. braid & mono topshot I should be fine.

Im not dumb or uneducated when it comes to reels. But my desire here has left me stumped. I would like to hear others thoughts on this. I know the reel exist Penn, Accurrate, Avet & Release make them. The problem is 2 people have stated they dont believe a reel the size I'm wanting will have the durability to last as long as I'm wanting.

Comments & ideas please...THANKS, Jeff   

Shark Hunter

We have been around the block on this one Jeff.
You wanted a reel that would pull giant cats from the depths. The 114H would fit that bill and then some.
For a reel to last generations, you need a 113H. With the latest upgrades the guys here have come up with. It will pull twice that drag and keep on ticking. Its going to weigh in at about 30 oz.
With a ss sleeve, Aluminum Frame, A new style insert from Adam and a set of gears from Black Pearl. The Tank will keep on going. Accurate and Avet make some fine reels, but Penn has stood the test of time. JMO
Life is Good!

johndtuttle

been thinking about this for a few days and think a "mini-tank" would be closest to the ideal.

Rebuild a 1-3/0 Senator with all the upgrades and most importantly an aluminum spool and stainless internals and it will last for generations...just don't know what one weighs. I would think significantly less than a tank, but dunno how much less.

In a lever drag, an Okuma Makaira 8 II would be about the toughest small thing out there...again about 30 oz.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 25, 2015, 04:28:07 AM
We have been around the block on this one Jeff.

Darin, no this is different.   A 114 or 113 does not meet what I would consider a go to, every day reel for my needs. Of course in time this might change. I will deffinantly be building a 113 or 114 for the times I need & can make use of it. For what I'm wanting hear a mini tank sounds great.  
There are several fellas I've spoke with  that agree with both you & John regarding the weight. So my benchmark for weight is 30 oz. Now to see how far below that I can go with a Mini tank. Built out of a Jigmaster or some such.

Like I've stated before I have 3 Fathom 25N's love them. But 2 of them are after 2 years use a little sloppy regarding the tolerances on the handle. I know this comes from the way I've used them. Personally I will rebuild them & not use them as a winch & use the handles adjusted shorter rather than at their longer placement. While also making use of the rod more often.

Three se7ens

For a hard life of winching fish, where you need high drag without a lot of line capacity, I dont think the makaira 8 can be beat.  I had a cavalla 15, which was the predecessor to the makaira, and I used it for big sharks offshore.  350 yds of 80 lb test was plenty of line, but the majority of its live was at 25+ lbs of drag.  It never missed a beat, and I have every reason to believe it would have lasted decades of such use.  The reel was just built like a tank.  Everything was solid and strong.  Not a lot of effort in weight saving, but thats not always a bad thing.  It was designed for a level of regular duty well beyond what I was doing with it.

Shark Hunter

On the original Tank Thread by Sal. On page 27, he weighs in the Tank, It is exactly 30 oz with all the upgrades. 5 oz lighter than a stock 113h.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.390
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Daron thanks for providing that link I remembered reading that. Was looking for it but couldn't find it.
Here is where I'm at. I like the idea of of building a 113 or 114 heavy reel that I can fish a 100 or 130 lb. line. But I dont see using either of these reels regularly as my go to reel for 60 lb. line being that I am looking for 20 lbs of drag,from a smaller reel that has durability & longevity. I'm thinking the reel I want in this class is either the Penn Torque 30 & just maybe a 40 or the Okuma Makiara. While the Makiara is not American made it's hard to look past it's quality for the price. The most important thing here with in my criteria is long lasting durability that keeps catching fish with out to much issue.

Both the Torque & Makiara have been catching fish with a good record. So much so no one who would know is questioning their durability.   As best I can tell both have been doing it at drags settings higher for longer than any of the hopped up Senator Tanks have with bakelite side plates. If I build a a Tank it will as stated be for heavier line than 60 lb. To do this & make complete use of the upper end drag range thats being reached I believe aluminum side plates are going to be needed in the long run. Raising the price to where for me the cost of these 2 reels is appealing. Please feel free to correct if it is believed I am wrong on this.

Shark Hunter

Jeff,
I fish the bigger Senators. 12/0 and 14/0 most of the time, but I have them all. Surfmasters, Baymasters, Jigmasters, Long Beach models, Squidders. I love them all. Some of the reels I fish with, the side plates are older than me and I'm going to turn 50 soon. I would much rather catch a large Shark on these than a newer reel. Its just a Nostalgia thing for me.
I do have one new big two speed reel of the Everol Flavor, but that's a different story.
I just am trying to give you the best advice on what I know.
I would rather do it old school. I know they can take it, and I know I rebuilt them myself from all the knowledge I got from members right here.
Good luck on your quest my friend.
Daron
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

All the reels you are considering are great reels, as you stated no one can really disagree with that. This seems to be a preference thing. I am a guy that loves tinkering and fishing old reels but I have and love fishing all the modern ones as well. My two cents is if you are looking to pass a reel down, than 2 things I would consider are maintenance necessary and parts availability. I.E AR bearings will be harder to come by as the reel gets older. If I had to throw my choice in there it would be an older Penn international, between cals blue printing (possibility of making it a 2 speed) and the availability of parts that reel would last forever. If going more modern then I would stay with Penn, due to the fact they tend to keep a lot of there reel parts in stock long after their reels are discontinued and are always great to work with, get the Torque.

basto

Well I guess you probably have your reels by now, but I just read this and know it is an old post, but I just had to say a word in favour of the first gen Torque 200. When I read your criteria for the reel, I thought of my Torque 200 and how it has been a great bottom fishing reel for me and weighs 20ozs.
It has the same drag as the 300, therefore both are rated at 32lbs of drag. The 300 weighs 29ozs.
I personally use the pump and wind method for pulling up heavy fish, so the high gear ratio of 6.2 is not an issue for me and the 200 weighs less than my old Torium 20.
From what I see in the Torque 200, it is built for longevity. Nearly everything under the hood is stainless.
All the best
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Rivverrat

Thanks for this post. The 200 is one "FANTASTIC" reel. The dog set up is of better design than what is found on the US113. I have been keeping watch for some new ones at a good price.

basto

Yes, and those dogs are just a backup to a very good one way roller bearing and I don`t think the gear sleeve in the US113 and Baja are stainless like the Torque. The first gen Torques have better dogs (in my opinion) and more stainless inside than the new Torque.
I suspect that is why the new Torques were not put in the INTERNATIONAL class like the first gen is.
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n