Penn 70VSL Question

Started by Keta, December 11, 2010, 06:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I'm trying to fix an older Penn 70 that I think is a VSL (Serial # C000098) and I can't figure out how to get the gears and crank shaft (134) off.  The bearings are good, the problem was caused by a delamination of the drag from the drive plate.

http://www.pennreels.com/exp_views/int/407-70VSL_Rev_7.pdf
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

these are awful.  i really hate the design.  you have to remove the shift housing screws (key #23) and then the handle lock plate (key #110A) using a special wrench https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/168-70.aspx  it's a real pain to get back together.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

if what alan said is not your problem you may have to remove screws from the gear then youll find 2 screws that attach to key #195 retaining clip. i found this out the hard way you cant see the clip. hope this helps
                                                             aloha
                                                              kamu

Keta

#23 and #110 are off,  I'll see if I can get to the retaning ringv #195.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I have a belt sander that made a wrench for removing 110a by grinding down the sides of an end wrench, Monday morning I'll order the real one.  I could not feel or see 195, is it between the 2 gears? 

I have 2 of these reels but the gears are not the same, one is about 1.3:1 and the other is around 1:1 in low.  The 1:1 reel has a tag inside that I can't read and I think it might be a Cal's conversion.  The one I'm working on now was an Ebay "misrepresentation", the auction said "excellent shape" and the reel was full of salt/grit with the appearance of heavy use/abuse.  For a bit under $200 I guess I can't complain too much.

Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: Keta on December 12, 2010, 04:43:55 PM
I have a belt sander that made a wrench for removing 110a by grinding down the sides of an end wrench, Monday morning I'll order the real one.  

It's amasing what you find when you look, I went out and looked in the box my other 70VSL came in and the right tool was inside still in the unopened envelope.  I will need to get the tool for my 70VS still.

The shift parts on the VSL are a PitA to work on when the small springs (18c) fall out (thanks for fixing mine Allan) but I've taken them apart and glued the copper plate (not on schmatic) to the plastic (110b) with a small dab of Supper Glue and the assembly doesn't fall apart.

kamuwela,
I took my other reel apart an found part #195 on it, I'll clean the crud off the POS reel and see if my snap ring pliers will get it.

Thanks to all.

Mark Twain

Keta

I got it apart, once I figured it out it isn't that hard to do.

I cleaned the hardened grease out of part #134 and got part #172A and #18H out, I was digging out the hard grease behind part #18H with a screwdriver and the tip caught in a slot on part #171....it's a screw that holds part #119 in place.  Once parts #119, #171 and #5L were removed the retaining ring #195 was easy to get to with a snap ring tool and the shaft is now out.  I'll measure the bearings and post the dimensions after I clean them.

Mark Twain

kamuwela

those screws need to be loctited or tightned real good. i found 195 on a reel that couldnt return when shifting. it would return only when tilted to the right, took a while to find ill never forget that one. the screws vibrated loose and 195 fell off but the grease kept it in place.

Keta

The screws (101A) on one of my 70's are staked, on the one I'm working on they had Locktite on them.  The threds on part #171 are interferance fit but I'll dab a bit of Lockitie 242 on it too.

Mark Twain