#9,10, 210

Started by garking84, April 28, 2015, 03:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garking84

Dose anyone know if they made different style of stands for the reels listed?  Mine have a curved/ bent style stand and I'm wondering if they made any straight stands.

Thane

harryk3616

yes, for the 9  and 109 there are two different stands, one is for smaller rods, freshwater ,  and the other stand is flatter for saltwater rods. the curved ones are highly chromed while the flat ones have a very dull matte finish, might even be stainless, not sure. i know the 209 has the same feature, but i can't elaborate on the 210.  hope this helps, take care

garking84

Hey Harry,  by any chance would you happen to know the part numbers? 

Mic

Quote from: harryk3616 on April 28, 2015, 11:42:46 AM
yes, for the 9  and 109 there are two different stands, one is for smaller rods, freshwater ,  and the other stand is flatter for saltwater rods. the curved ones are highly chromed while the flat ones have a very dull matte finish, might even be stainless, not sure. i know the 209 has the same feature, but i can't elaborate on the 210.  hope this helps, take care

That right there is good to know Harry~!

Thanks~!

I have several stands from 9's and 109's that appear different and I couldn't figure out why ? All I could come up with was somebody over cranked the drag when they were hung up ?
I have 2 stands with a "S" on them and I read that is for saltwater. The others seem to have the back part of the foot slightly bent downward or backward forcing the face of the reel to change the point where the line travels through the guide.

I have about 10 of the 210's and I haven't noticed any difference in them, but I'll look at them this evening.
I have two of the 209's as well and I'll see if they are different.

Thanks again Harry for the info!

harryk3616

hi  garking,  like mic said there is a ''s'' stamped on the reel stand,   they had 30-109f for freshwater,  30-109s  for saltwater,  now they just list 30n-9  which fits the #9  and  #109  they did away with the  f  and  s  .  hope this helps. 

Mic

I looked at the stands I have and the only one different than the "S" one for the 9 is one that was on one of my 210's and it was part# 30-209f. It has the front and rear foot of the stand pointing downward.
I looked at the 9 stands I have and 2 are flat like Harry stated and 3 have the downward turned feet like the freshwater 209.

It's funny how Penn did these kind of things. It's like they decided to be the wife and kids to the whole fishing world. Just when you thought you had the opportunity to relax and unwind, bam! What were you thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, like the wife and kids, we did it to ourselves and I for one, don't want to go at it without them!

Have a good day yawl!

Mic

garking84

Thanks Harry,  I managed to get a few on ebay the 209 and 210 use same stand 30-66. The 9 uses the same as a 109. So I got those reels with the flat stands.  I just couldn't find a flat stand for the 10 I'm guessing they didn't make one for this reel.

Tightlines667

It's my understanding the model 10 was basically a 'hotrodded' Peer 09.  I know the current stand for the reel is a 30-10

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/30-10.aspx

But I would suspect any of the Peer09 saltwater style stands should fit the reel...

30-109S, 30-9, 30N-9, or of course the 30-10

30N-9
REPLACES ORIGINAL NUMBER 30-109, 30-109S, 30-109F, 30-9 ON SOME OLDER REELS

NOTES about older stands:
The 30-109 can be either a 30-109F freshwater stand from the 1940's. They were slightly smaller. There was also 30-109S saltwater stand back then that became the modern 30-9 and then the 30N-9.

I may be wrong.  I bet Sal knows the answer though?

I know the older first gen peer reels had the holes in their stands drilled closer to the edge (higher on the stand), so if one trys to put newer stands on older reels the tabs overlap with the spool slightly.  Conversley, old style stands (i.e. 30-109S) lift the reel up just slightly.  The freshwater stands were designed to lift the resl up off of the rod to improve castability, while the saltwater stands lower the reel and increase strength.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Mic

I have a red Penn Peerless 9 that I have been rebuilding with the help of Fred Oaks that I put a 30-109S stand on. It looks great. Thanks Fred~!

I was showing it to my wife and I pointed out the S on the stand and she took it to mean the S stood for Snow. Her nick name. Luck me, I just finished it and lost it!. Well, at least I'll get to cast it out.

Great information yawl~!

Mic

Penn Chronology

Rule of Thumb for the Level Winds and it follows through for all the non- ball bearing models 109, 9 and 209

Model 9F = Freshwater stand with Plastic spool

Model 9MF=  Freshwater stand with Metal spool

Model 9S= Saltwater Stand with Plastic Spool

Model 9MS= Saltwater Stand with Metal Spool

The saltwater stands are straight flat mounts, while the freshwater stands have a joggle that raises them and they are shorter. The freshwater stands are designed to fit into offset freshwater bait casting rod handles