has anyone ever made a left handed black side plate 3/0 senator 112?

Started by alantani, April 28, 2015, 04:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

a guy just asked me, and it looks doable.  the left handed black side plate 113 has a left handed 5-66 main gear and the left handed mariner 49 has a left handed 13-49 pinion gear.  and i have a few left handed gear sleeves. mill out enough room for the dog on the left side of the side plate, right?  the star will be right handed and the freespool lever will be in the wrong place, but that's just something you'll have to get used to, right?  anybody done this before? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Alan --

Why will the star be right handed -- since you have left handed sleeves?

Or, does a left handed sleeve have right hand star threads?

All sounds doable to me without too much extra work -- besides a quick mill job for the dog.

Got to show us pics when you are done.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

the left handed jigmaster gear sleeves all have right handed threads.  penn never made a left handed jigmaster star that i ever saw.  not sure why not.  they made a 113h left/321 left handed gear sleeve and star.  it looks like the gear set is available.  just wondering if anyone has ever done this modification before. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I'm planning on eventually doing it with a Surfmaster and have the LH parts.  A LH 113H "Tank" will be next, that's where the second LH SS gearsleeve I got from you will go. The LH 349H I have used RH gears.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain