Some basic drag questions

Started by VAOBrian, December 11, 2010, 07:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAOBrian

So I was tearing down a few Penn's this week and got to thinking that I dont remember seeing anything about stock drags and how many pounds of drag could be expected for the 113H or the GLS 25.

Also when measuring drag - does it make a difference whether the line on the spool is full, half, or barely loaded with mono?

Thanks

kamuwela

i dont know the drag setting's for those reels but when a reel is full it takes less effort to pull out line, as the spools emptys the drag pressure increases. the drag force will be doubled when approximately 75% of the full spool is off the reel. hope this helps                                     aloha
                                                                 kamu

alantani

with the line at the top of the spool, figure 15 pounds for a 113h.  a hotrodded gls 25 would be about the same. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

VAOBrian

Here is a dumb question - what is a hotrodded reel Alan?

kamuwela

getting more drag by adding belleville washers.()() = soft ((())=a little more drag and finally full on hot rod((((( you need to mic out your exsiting stack and add bellevilles to get the same stack height. then for casting alan always recomends cleaning out all grease and lube for casting distances. as for lube he has been trying all kinds of stuff you can find it  here on his site